OS X Interface Sounds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opuslab, Feb 6, 2006.

1. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

I recently had to reinstall Panther on my PowerBook. I did a clean install, re-initialized the startup disk and all. Everything works great, except for one tiny problem: when I empty Trash, it does not make the "crumpling paper" sound like it did before. It gets emptied without any sound effect. I know it seems such a silly problem, but being as OCD as I am, it bugs the heck out of me. Can I do something to make it work? If anybody can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. kanaka macrumors member

Have you verified that the sound effects are turned on in System Preferences? If not, open the Sound pane in System Preferences, click the "Sound Effects" tab, and make sure the checkbox labeled "Play user interface sound effects" is selected.

3. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Open System Preference, then open the Sound panel, click the "Sound Effects" tab. Put a check on "Play user interface sound effects"

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If by reinstall you mean switching from Tiger to Panther, bear in mind that the user interface sounds on Tiger aren't the same ones used on Panther. The play user interface sounds checkmark should get them (the Panther ones) working.

5. opuslab thread starter macrumors member

opuslab

Thank you so much for replying. However I still can not fix my problem. The "Play user interface sounds" is checked, and, as I should have mentioned before, I hear all other interface sounds, such as moving things to trash, alerts, and so on. The only one that doesn't work is the Empty Trash sound... :confused: Is it a curse for not upgrading to Tiger?

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    When I really Tax my CPu and Ram, my sound effects will just stop working all together...and I have no idea why...I posted a thread about this and got zero responses, so I'm still in the dark..

Much like any odd quirk with OSX, a reboot fixes it, but I still wish I knew what the deal was.