OS X iPod to Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobber205, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

How can I get my OS X formatted ipod to be compatbile with my friend's XP computers on campus?

2. brandon6684 Guest

Not that I'm aware of. Even though my main computer is a Mac, I still keep my iPods Windows(FAT) formatted since it works with both Macs and Windows.

3. obrien234 macrumors regular

As far as I know, I agree with Brandon. You can transfer you songs onto your computer then format your iPod, and transfer them back. That's a way to make it work, assuming you feel like going through the effort....

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Thanks for the replies.

If I get this right: can I format my ipod using the windows version of iTunes, go back into OS X, transfer them all over again, and then I will be able to use my ipod with all the music on XP?

I'm a DJ at the campus radio station and I would much prefer to just bring my ipod and trasnfer all my songs on to the computer and play them that way that use CDs. :D

Then, of course, I would delete them each day before I left.

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

This is the case, yes. I do this so I have my full music library available when I'm booted into XP via Boot Camp.

Must be noted that my 5G is *significantly* slower to be recognised when plugged in as a Windows formatted iPod compared to when it's OS X formatted - takes 15-30s to mount and start syncing typically - but it's a fair trade-off to have my music library available any time.

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Darn NTFS file system I guess. ;)

Is there a way to play my music on a computer w/o actually loading all of it onto the HD?

7. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

FAT32 actually. :)

There is a way, yes. In iTunes, set the iPod to manual music management. Then just select the playlists from the iPod and play them as you would normal iTunes music.