OS X is HUGE!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JohnEZ, Jun 7, 2006.

1. JohnEZ macrumors member

Hi all,

I know this has been asked somewhere before, but searching for it produced such a wide range of results I couldn't filter it. Anyway.

I have a MacBook Pro with the 80 GB HD (Ok, 74GB after formatting...) which I just reformatted. I'm very pleased to have 55 GB of free space after huge video files took over :p

Anyway, in thinking how nice it is, there's just still one little thing I'm wondering... where did the 1st 20 GB of my space go? Is there anything I can safely delete to regain some of that space? I know that I shouldn't quibble about it when I have 55GB left, but I'm very tight, with both money and storage space, apparently. :p

-John

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I was surpirsed at first too! I pushed mine up to 63GB though. First, get monolingual to delete languages. I deleted programs I'll never, ever use. Like comic life, sherlock, etc. I think you can do a custom reinstall, but it seemed to much trouble to me. (a.k.a. i'm lazy). If you're not going to use garageband you can delete those loops. And delete the printer drives you won't be using (they take almost 2GB). Use omnisweeper (I think that's the name) to see where everything is going

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Tons of threads about this topic.

Download Delocalizer to remove other languages
    Printer drivers you don't need
    Garageband loops if you don't use

Go to terminal and type Format c:

4. x86 macrumors regular

x86

I'm pretty sure iLife alone is 10+GB. So thats half right there...

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Even with a FULL install of OS X, plus the Developer tools/X11, AND about 100 major apps, 500 huge photos/images, 200+ songs, utilities, maintenance and miscellaneous apps, my main system HD still weighs in at less than 20gb.......

but you can remove stuff yourself, or use utilities to do it for you.....

things like:

A) All languages you dont use
    B) All printer drives except the ones for your current printer(s)
    C) Duplicate files....ie more than one copy of documents & apps
    D) ALL Classic/OS 9 files, if you dont need it
    E) System, user, internet and other cache files etc etc.....yada, yada, yada

versiontracker, macupdate, Google etc R your freinds :p

6. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much. :D I'm very pleased to get my space back. :)

-John

7. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

How much space do you have now? I'm ordering my MacBook soon and am planning on removing any extraneous files/apps I don't need, so a mental size frame would be cool.

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Embarrassing question:

If you delete the languages, will your translator widget still function?

9. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yes sir it will still work. The translator widget runs off of the internet.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're going to reinstall OS X... Maybe you should uncheck the additional languages from installing anyways.

11. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i have a 60GB macbook (55GB after formatting i guess) and after deleting languages and printer drivers im down to 33GB now with 8GB of music and about 3GB of apple loops/idvd themes/not-using programs that i could delete. so thats about 11GB for OSX and apps...

12. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

just wondering, if you go and delete the languages, lets just say you need one of them for any reason (although I cant think of one off the top of my head), is there any way to get them back??

13. maxiam macrumors newbie

If you remove (or don't install) the stuff mentioned above plus any apps you don't need, OSX can be pretty slim.
    The 10.3.9 install I have on my Pismo is around 2GB.

14. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

There is a neat way to recover significant amounts of space on Macosxhints without having to delete files.
    There are a few caveats relating to Updates, but these are covered in the original article.

15. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

I know this defeats the OP's question, but you could buy an external Hdd. I saw a 300gb one for $160 at BestBuy not too long ago.

16. Makosuke macrumors 603

This brings up yet another source of confusion for people with new computers who think the OS is eating up more space than it is--when they say "80GB" drive, the OS reports that as about 75GB. So 5GB of your space, in a manner of speaking, never existed.

The reason has been covered dozens of times on this forum and elsewhere, but basically hard drive sizes as sold (the numbers given by the manufacturers) don't use quite the same calculation as the OS does. A "manufacturer GB" is 10^9 bytes, while an "OS GB" (Mac and Windows) is 2^30 bytes. As a result, drives "appear" smaller in the size reported by the OS, although both numbers are technically correct.

It isn't formatting that eats the space, though--that's a few megabytes at absolute most.

17. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i see... still dont have 60 though ;)

18. ready2switch macrumors 6502

How much RAM does OS X use? I just read an article stating that Vista uses "16 GB of space and 700MB of RAM" and wondered how OS X compared.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

512MB of RAM is the minimum for it to be fully usable. However you can get by on less. I have 512 on my laptop and 3GB of my powermac. So it depends on what you use of course.*

*OS X 10.4 Tiger used

20. ready2switch macrumors 6502

No, not the requirements to use. How much does it actually use when running. The article I read stated that Vista was USING 700MB, which seems like a TON for an OS to be using.

Reference: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/vistab2.ars/2

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

That depends on how much you have. If you have 2GB of RAM then OS X will use more. If you have 512MB it will use less.

22. joebells macrumors 6502

my girlfriends g5 imac uses the whole 2 gigs she has installed

23. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I'm constantly on 1GB as well (out of 1.5)

And for the original poster, you don't loose space by formatting, the drives are measured in bytes...drives say 1000 bytes = 1KB although your OS sees 1KB as 1024 Bytes ;)

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You lose a bit, and back in the days the hard drives were 20 or 40 MB then it was actually noticeable... nowadays not so...

Also: 1MB = 1 000 000 bytes for HDs and 1024 *1024 bytes for the OS... ;)

25. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Back then it did matter, yes.

And sorry for the mix up up K and M...hehe (1000 and a million not a big deal right ? :( ...it is sorry)