Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
So new issues I found.

When viewing the video of Lion on Apple's UK site, it essentially continued playing, without the video playing, and you were unable to move any of the controls, couple of refreshes and it worked.

Also, and this is huge for me, they have removed the bounce icon/feature with Mail. I use this heaps for junk mail, or emails from people that won't take the hint. Disappointed to lose it.

Lot's of nice features, but feels cosmetic. Feels laggy, especially internet access

I am unable to address the mail but when it comes to Safari they're still developing it so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a 5.1.1 nor 5.2 release soon after Lion is released (check out the Webkit tags to compare the current build number to where they're currently at). It is a nuisance but I don't think it is a 'show stopper' by any stretch of the imagination.

MistaMacky

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
MBA Troubles

Hello developers and testers,

I am a social science student who has had a white macbook and an imac (21.5''). I sold my imac for $750 and am now waiting for the new MBA 11.6'' to come out so I can buy it :D

I have two questions for you guys:

1) How has Lion been running on the MBA 11.6'' 2G RAM 1.4 Ghz? Does the machine seem to struggle? I have heard the rumors about the new MBAs so im certain its an uneven comparison. But if it runs fine on the current bottom of the line MBAs, it will most likely run better on the new ones. Logical train of thought, right?

2) Office 2008 rundown (please!). Any and all details would be greatly appreciated. I really don't wanna shell out the cash for 2011. It never seems worth it. Lastly, is there any chance Office will get full screen app-ness too?

Best, and thank you :)

rockneplane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks chrfr, that was what I wanted to know.

my thoughts: some bugs here and there, but overall Lion is blazing fast. From 10.6.8 to this feels almost like a new machine. i am on a late 2009 17" mbp with 8gb ram. booting is however, slightly slower.

i did not like it so much at first, but it's grown on me. overall quite stable for a .0 release.

complaints: allow the option to change on OR all desktop backgrounds, not just the current one.

more importantly: when engaging mission control, expose itself should display all windows on the current desktop, not just grouped by app. i want to see everything i have open.

lastly: any ideas when the final 64 bit itunes will be released?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks chrfr, that was what I wanted to know.

my thoughts: some bugs here and there, but overall Lion is blazing fast. From 10.6.8 to this feels almost like a new machine. i am on a late 2009 17" mbp with 8gb ram. booting is however, slightly slower.

i did not like it so much at first, but it's grown on me. overall quite stable for a .0 release.

complaints: allow the option to change on OR all desktop backgrounds, not just the current one.

more importantly: when engaging mission control, expose itself should display all windows on the current desktop, not just grouped by app. i want to see everything i have open.

lastly: any ideas when the final 64 bit itunes will be released?

iTunes 10.5 (which is in beta testing) is 64bit so rumour has it that it'll be released around September - I'd say that as part of the move from QTKit to AV Foundation that part of the change will probably encompass some fairly hefty changes so it will be interesting to see how it plays out for OS's older than Lion.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Bugs I encountered in DP4 are still present in the GM.

eg every few boots the volume control is dimmed and audio not working, even rarer the wifi is likewise not functioning, the quirky flicker/colour tint change during the final stages of the boot screen, the dock occasionally spontaneously un-arranging icons that have been rearranged, Safari getting confused about UI elements that have been disabled/enabled in fullscreen mode (eg turn off the toolbar in fullscreen, revert to normal screen it is sometimes back otherwise turn it back on, but exit and reopen Safari and the toolbar is missing (an even more annoying glitch now that GM has removed the toolbar option from View menu, so not only can only hide it via right-clicking the title/toolbar area but the shortcut key is lost)), etc.

I am still very horrified they did not add in a UI widget that indicates scrollable content, even if it is nothing more than a tiny mostly-transparent arrow or dots. With no scrollbar (by default) there is no way to know that there is more content to see, so why would you necessarily scroll over it? Admittedly I occasionally have that problem on the iPhone too - it was only six months ago I realised Safari's address bar history list can be swiped over to reveal more history (though latest iOS does make bottom option only half appear so now it's obvious that there is more below, but that's just a work-around for a bad UI convention). The new dialog when Lion first boots is a perfect example of that - craps on about how the scrolling is upside down (eg we bagged MS because they didn't understand different between touch interface and PC interface, but now we've gone and shoved touch conventions onto PC interface ourselves), but doesn't actually say to "make sure you do a scroll on this actual pane because there is more content hidden below including the button you need to proceed further". Very odd. Alternatively, that scrollbars (again by default) do flash up for half a second when a dialog first appears could be tweaked so the fade process is much slower, saw 5 or more seconds, so is there for longer - or perhaps only fade to 20% opacity so they are still slightly visible...? Anyways, off topic.

+1
I've encountered 90% of these bugs in GM. I find it hard to believe Apple have settled on this build as a possible GM. Very buggy candidate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.