Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think it was a bad idea for Apple do drop a bomb shell like that. Honestly Apple should of give at least 2 years noticed so companies and enterprise which tend to move slower have noticed but then again this is why Apple sucks in the enterprise market.

I think anyone using Rosetta got 3 more years than anyone should have expected. Apple supported this far longer than I thought they would have.

Can something obvious happening really be called a "bomb shell?"

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Good point, I forgot all about this. I've already been warning people they need Office 2008 or newer if they plan to upgrade, but I totally forgot the installer is PowerPC (which makes zero sense).

If Office 2008 is already installed on their machine before they upgrade there won't be any issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
We all knew this day was coming. I think people would be complaining regardless of when apple finally pulled the plug. I can't say that I'm surprised, but it may mean that more users deciding not to upgrade.

I for one will not be upgrading to 10.7, at least early on and then maybe not for some time. The major features that apple is touting don't really enhance my workflow. I can wait and by waiting my scanner software that I use will still work (for what ever reason epson hasn't updated it yet).

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'll miss Diablo 1 + 2...

...but that's ok, 3 isn't far (hopefully ;) )

And Starcraft/Warcraft as well....is it possible for game developers like Blizzard to add Intel support for their legacy titles? It'd be nice....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think anyone using Rosetta got 3 more years than anyone should have expected. Apple supported this far longer than I thought they would have.

Can something obvious happening really be called a "bomb shell?"

I wouldn't call it a bombshell but some users like me are in a lurch. We have to rely on others to update software that we use. If they don't update it we're out of luck

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
And Starcraft/Warcraft as well....is it possible for game developers like Blizzard to add Intel support for their legacy titles? It'd be nice....

Yes it is possible for them to make them universal, but it's unlikely that they will bother.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Older software does not work. I think this was a bad idea. They could remove the ability to compile new software using Rosetta but there is going to be a lot of stuff that just stops working. I believe Office 2008 can not even install with out Rosetta as the installer is PPC the program itself does not need it but the installer does.

I think it was a bad idea for Apple do drop a bomb shell like that. Honestly Apple should of give at least 2 years noticed so companies and enterprise which tend to move slower have noticed but then again this is why Apple sucks in the enterprise market.

I understand that keeping Rosseta in Lion would be easy for Apple and people still using PPC apps could keep on using them, but in 2011 3rd party software that is not updated to intel is not Apple's problem either. Office 2008 also is not Apple's screw up.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wouldn't call it a bombshell but some users like me are in a lurch. We have to rely on others to update software that we use. If they don't update it we're out of luck

Yes, well I decided to go through that in 2009. If I couldn't get versions of things that ran natively by then I figured they were a lost cause and replaced them with different programs.

Not to sound unsympathetic, but why didn't you do that then? It was pretty clear that if a company didn't care by then they probably wouldn't ever care.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I can't say I'm happy about this, I actually attempted to install Rosetta on the Lion Developer Preview, the install went fine but rosetta based apps do not work..

Theres no rosetta applications that I rely on, I'm a web designer and I just use the latest versions of Photoshop & Illustrator etc..

But what I'm going to miss is the ability to run a lot of the old games that I really enjoyed, not to mention emulators will also no longer work..

I'm hoping we'll see some fan ports from the Windows side for these older games..

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ

Warcraft 3 is Intel native. Who plays Warcraft 2 anymore? Let alone 1.

Pr0digy

Nov 4, 2008
Ehh

Quicken Essentials (intel app) runs just fine under Lion, what's with all the fuss, just update.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
I wonder if it would be possible for someone to hack Rosetta into 10.7?

Personally I can just see dual boots being used for those who really need it. I do this all the time with Windows XP and Windows 7 64bit for a few things where a VM isn't good enough and there are compatibility issues with w7 due to it being 64bit.

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
fortunately i don't have any apps that are PPC left. this doesn't affect me nearly as much as losing classic did, for one of my all time favorite games, lode runner, mad monks revenge :)

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Basterds! How about AoE 2? or Unreal Tournament? Damn it, those are the only games I still play ...

I keep Tiger installed on an external drive for all old games since 2007. Almost all old games work just fine on Tiger. Diablo I/II, Alien vs Predator, Alice in Wonderland, Return to Castle wolfenstein, Heretic and many others. Problem solved.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
I'm sure I have some older applications that I use now that runs in rosetta. Is their an easy way for me to find out which programs are running in rosetta right now? I have an newer iMac running Snow Leo 10.6.7

davidsol

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Intuit just sucks

It's amusing that the one example provided of software that still runs on the pre-Intel system is Quicken. As someone who suffered through Intuit on Windoez then the Mac, let's just be real: Intuit just sucks. Oh. And Quickbooks sucks too, but that's not germane to this discussion.

If you're staying on a PPC system for Quicken-- dude, switch to Mint! I mean really. It's free and does all the stuff Quicken does, and does it better through the browser.

ecphot

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
i1Match currently requires Rosetta. That's the X-Rite i1Display 2 monitor calibration software.

yes this is a problem for me and tons of people in the professional graphics world. i'm not sure what i paid maybe $1200 for the whole calibration suite (monitor, printer, cameras, etc.) and i wont have rosetta to run it. Xrite barely ever updates software and of course there is no replacement (especially after buying the hardware). Plus they are basically the only game in town.
Not that I wanted Lion right away anyway, but I guess I'll at least need to keep SL around for awhile longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.