OS X maintenance?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nevrsadie, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I have had my MBP for about a month now. Its my first laptop and my first Mac. I am really loving this thing, its a true powerhouse of a machine. Anyways, I am so used to running maintenace programs in windows to keep everything smooth. Virus scans, defragging, adaware, so on and so forth. I know that you dont have to defrag in OSX and macs do not get viruses for the most part. My question is are there any programs or utilities that I should be running to keep OSX runnning smoothly?

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Onyx is a nice little app that does some maintenance scripts for you.

also, going to disk utility and repairing permissions (just spotlight "disk utility") is nice to do once in a while.

...isn't it nice having a :apple: ? :D

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X generally does a good job of running its own maintenance scripts - something that happens silently in the background. However, if, for some reason you wish to run these scripts manually, several programs can do this. I can't recommend one in particular, as I always use the command line to run maintenance scripts manually.

4. Nevrsadie thread starter macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Thanks for the OnyX tip that is a cool program. Looks like it will do everything neccesary. I wasnt having any problems but I know over time that there has to be some maintenance. And yes it is nice having a :apple: !

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I would quite seriously not bother. OS X takes care of that stuff for you; you only need to do anything if something goes wrong. Aside from upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4, I haven't manually done any "maintenance" stuff at all and the OS runs just as well as it ever did.

--Eric

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have to ditto... I used to be religious about doing "maintenance" when I had Panther and then when I got Tiger I pretty much lost interest and stopped doing it. No observation that I've ever had increased instability as a result of that decision.

7. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Laptops often don't get those scripts run (unless they have some different schedule that I don't know about) ...because the maintenance scripts run in the wee hours of the morning.

I manually run the commands via the terminal every 3 months or so on my old G4 iBook.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not true with MacOS X 10.4. The maintenance scripts are run when the computer becomes available. They are no longer restricted to the wee hours of the morning. My own experience is similar to that of mkrishnan. I used to run OnyX and/or Yasu on a fairly regular basis. After upgrading to MacOS X 10.4, I lost interest and rarely do it anymore. My computer displays no ill-effects due to this decision.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Since I moved to 10.4 I haven't bothered running anything other than Disk Utilities Repair Permissions. Stuff that used to be handled by cron (this was easy enough to fix too by installing anacron) is now handled properly by launchd. I don't see the point of these "maintenance" apps at all on 10.4.

10. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

This is good if true! How did you find this out?

11. Nevrsadie thread starter macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Well I learn something new about OSX everyday. So what you guys are saying is that I really dont need to do anything, it is all done for me in the background. The more I learn the more I realize what an awesome operating system this is.

12. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Scripts run under launchd in 10.4 and are set to start when the computer is idle for the first time after a date/time has passed. In versions before 10.4, it was run under cron, which meant the system had to be on, you cannot set cron to run on the next idle time.

13. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Have a look at MainMenu. Although it does pretty much what Onyx does, it has a nice little GUI showing you what is happening.

14. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

People are talking about running maintenance from command line. What do you have type to run these??

TS

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

If we are talking about preventative measures that a user can take for Mac OS X, this is the best advice anyone can give:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

:rolleyes:

This advice is even more important if you are new to Macs. Trying to find bizzy work to replace tasks you no longer have to perform shouldn't include fiddling with areas you aren't familiar with yet.

How will you know that you are familiar enough with Macs to fiddle with those areas? One clue will be the fact that you no longer feel a compulsion to fix what isn't broken. ;)

16. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Is that a typo? Or, what ill-effects does your computer show?

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I was about to say the same thing. If your Mac is working fine then just leave it be, all of mine seem to do an excellent job of remaining fast and efficient all by themselves.

18. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My face is red. It was a typo which I have corrected.

20. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

I dust my Mac every now and then with a slightly damp cloth.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not entirely true. There are many versions of cron: Anacron, Vixie cron, fcron, dcron, and a whole bunch more . Anancron (and some others others) will check for overdue tasks and run them asap. There is/was a version of Anancron for OS X.