Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
I said I was going to wait at least a couple of days before upgrading to Mountain Lion. Turned out I couldn't even wait for my iTunes gift card numbers to register, I was downloading it so quick it got charged to my credit card.

I'm going to wait until at least the weekend for Mavericks. Maybe the Maps app will be buggy and I won't be able to find my way to the kitchen.

Oops, too late...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well my wife is 1 and I am 2. We upgraded last night, but have not had the time to play with it too much. It took forever to download and install not just maverick, but also all the app updates. Those servers must have been running hot. Or my cable provider was slow (I hate by cable company, but at least it did not go down in the middle of the down load which I was very concerned about since they seem to always do that)

Bit young to be married don't you think?

They'd have a much higher adoption rate if they didn't cull older hardware so harshly.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
I have 32GB RAM installed on my 27' i7 iMac.
In ML used at the most 9GB RAM.
Now using Mavericks..... Activity Monitor says memory used 19.86GB with the file cache being 13.91GB. Interesting......and yes Safari is snappier:eek:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I see no reason why Lion and Mountain Lion users would not upadte to Mavericks

I bet 99% of Snow Leopards users will hold on to SL. The reason they havent upgrade yet to Lion or ML is because they dislike the direction Apple took OS X. Im in that bunch.

If I could, I would install SL on a 2013 Mac

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I downloaded Mavericks plus iLife and iWork updates on my Mac Mini last night. (Also, did ios updates with related apps) Very smooth experience, but it took a little while. I assume servers were getting hammered.

I still need to explore the new OS, but I like what I see so far. Also, I am very pleased and grateful for all of these free updates. This seems to be a new business model for Apple, and I admit that I don't fully understand how they make money on it....but I like it!

Yesterday's hardware announcements were great, but I found the software portion of the keynote even more significant for the typical Apple user. Frankly, I am not particularly motivated to upgrade my hardware, since everything is running pretty smoothly with these updates.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I was updated about 50 minutes after Mavericks went public.

The battery life claims have proven true this far.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Less than I was expecting, I upgraded and my only complaints are notes is ugly and the lack of linen in mission control looks too cartoony.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008

I bet 99% of Snow Leopards users will hold on to SL. The reason they havent upgrade yet to Lion or ML is because they dislike the direction Apple took OS X. Im in that bunch.

You don't think non-working software and hardware are significant reasons not to upgrade?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just waiting for Lilo777 to say even free it's a poor OS. MR seems to have an extremely high tolerance for him no matter what he says. Funny though, if I say JUMP, I'll get Timed-Out. ;)

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
No guinea pig here.

Oh, so you didn't use the betas???
Good to know.
Wtf does your comment have to do with anything now that the final release is out???

Is everybody a "guinea pig" in your eyes until a new OS has had 10 updates....? 20...? What, pray tell, is YOUR metric for when an OS is actually "done"?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Check your settings (System Preferences -> Trackpad -> More Gestures) and make sure 'swipe between pages' is on. When I installed the first GM, that got turned off for some reason.

Settings were correct in System Preferences. A restart of the computer (thanks for that info from a user on here) fixed the issue.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I would download, but my credit card company won't process a charge for $0. How did the rest of you guys pay for this?

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Free turns a lot of people into early adopters :D

I'm still going to wait until 10.9.1. Just superstitious I guess. And I've been running the DP's on a spare Mac.

Same here. I always wait until the .1 release before upgrading. I didn't even upgrade to ML from Lion yet, so it looks like I'm just going to skip it for Mavericks. :D

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Installed in on rMBP, can't see much of a difference from ML though aside from the big features. Full screen movie on second screen worked great, and maps works wonderfully. I see myself using that everytime I go out somewhere. Sending it to the phone worked flawlessly.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
After upgrading to iOS 7, I'm hesitant to install a new OS on any old device. Would mavericks cripple my 2008 Macbook? It was sold with Leopard installed :/

I would probably skip this update with that machine of yours. I'm sure some people have but make sure if you do that you won't come here and complain that it's slow because you already know what you're installing it on. Almost 6 year old hardware.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I have downloaded Mavericks (sounds like a football team) and will install it on one or two non mission critical systems to see how it runs our software. If it works for a few days, I will move up to the rest of the computers.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
It's probably about to be a record breaker in adoption, with the combo of $0 and support back to Snow Leopard machines. It also has features that applies to everyone, with improved battery life, RAM compression and those things.

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
Mavericks x3!

I am skeptical of new releases, so I downloaded to my iMac and then Airdropped the installer package to my Mac mini and Macbook Pro.

I installed on the MBP first and tested major apps and features to make sure I wasn't hosed. Everything checked out:

• VMWare & Windows 7 VM still run fine
  • Mail, Calendar and iMessage looked fine.
  • Safari, no problems.
  • Garageband update - excellent. Didn't mangle my projects.
  • Haven't played with all the new features, but I really do want Maps & iCloud Keychain.

All of this added up to a big YES, so I updated the iMac and Mac mini. :)

The only thing I'm not as crazy about is the Mavericks wallpaper, but that is easily changed and I can always go back to the Andromeda galaxy picture if I want.

Last edited:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Oh, so you didn't use the betas???
Good to know.
Wtf does your comment have to do with anything now that the final release is out???

Is everybody a "guinea pig" in your eyes until a new OS has had 10 updates....? 20...? What, pray tell, is YOUR metric for when an OS is actually "done"?

Well, the current version of Mavericks is clearly not finished. No rational reason to install it now. None whatsoever.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I have updated two Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro's so far to Mavericks. Both of them were running Snow Leopard and it improved ones speed tremendously. The other one is in the middle of updating but I'm sure it will to. It was a bit slow to load at first but once it was up and running it was great.

Will see how it goes in the future.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012

You are right, I am ML user will not update even the software is free. IPhoto is gone from Mavericks. Say soyonara to the new osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.