OS X Mountain Lion Already Accounting for 3% of Mac Traffic

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that just over 48 hours after launch, OS X Mountain Lion is already accounting for over 3% of web traffic coming from the Mac platform. The data, which comes from analytics firm Chitika, shows that Mountain Lion's share has risen quickly from roughly 0.25% prior to the public launch.

Adoption has been even faster among those who closely follow Apple news, with 9to5Mac reporting yesterday that over half of its Mac visitors were already on Mountain Lion after hitting 10% even before the public launch.

Last year, Apple touted one million downloads of OS X Lion in the first day of availability, but the company has yet to release any official early figures for OS X Mountain Lion.

With Apple having just released new and updated models of its popular MacBook Pro and MacBook Air machines last month, many users are eligible for Apple's Up-to-Date program, which offers a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Apple has, however, been experiencing some issues with the program, with a number of users only just now receiving redemption codes to allow them to download OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Already Accounting for 3% of Mac Traffic
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2007
    I could be part of that traffic too if those bumholes would only send my upgrade code!
  3. macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2010
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2011
    And if they give the redeem codes to the people who deserved them at the first day, that number could have been way higher...
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    Southport, UK
    ...which means 97% isn't coming from ML. Doesn't sound like a triumph to me.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2010
    Wow--that's not a bad number at all. OS X is becoming as quick as iOS is to upgrade, and it's $20 more!
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2007
    I think it would be naive to assume that 3 percent of all mac users are already on mountain lion. I already have mountain lion but my mom doesn't. She also would never visit 9to5 mac.
  8. macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Curious to see how much of it is even Lion 10.7! A lot of people stuck with Snow leopard last time around.
  9. macrumors Pentium

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    What's funnier is those of us who presently have Mountain Lion downloaded but are taking our sweet time before upgrading (I've been slowly making backups and checking application compatibility before I make the jump), laughing our butts off at you guys desperate to get and install the upgrade. ;)
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Wish I could down vote this for mathematical ineptitude.... ML has been out for 2 days now and you're saying it's not a success with that huge spike in traffic? Do you know how to do math? :rolleyes:
  11. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Every day I find another reason to remember why the down-vote buttons were actually a really good idea.
  12. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    So, what you're saying is that if the DAY AFTER Windows 8 comes out, if less than 37.5 million people have installed and are running Windows 8, it's a failure?

I see. I'll compile the stats for you on October 27, 2012, the day after Windows 8 is released.

Windows current users: 1.25 billion x 3% = 37.5 million

Source: http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/windows-charge-numbers-141534
  13. macrumors 603

Nov 5, 2009
    you are naive; it's 3% based on the data pool they used. I could see 3% definitely possible; out of a 100 people, 97 don't have it and 3 do making a lot of sense. Techies like to have the latest and I'm pretty sure there is more than 3% of OSX users that love to have the latest. Hell, that's just 3times as much people as there are in this forum alone.

I'm one of those in the 97% because I can't update to ML and stuck in Lion :(
    I wonder how many out of those 66million can actually update to ML. :apple:
  14. macrumors regular

May 22, 2011
    I was part of that traffic! Got Mountain Lion on the first day!
  15. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
  16. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2010

What I would like to know is why I have already had to install EFI 1.5 four times? Same blurb in the App Store and, as far as I can tell, the same file size.

17. macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2010
    what are you worried about happening? So when you finish your backing up and compatibility checking, you will just install ML and start to enjoy the changes like everyone else. Just later......
  18. macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2011
    yeah, but those 3% are 2.11 million ML copies ;)

19. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That traffic, this fast, is what is causing the delay
  20. macrumors 68030

Dec 29, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm no mathmagician, but I think it is safe to say that with the relative ease of upgrading and the low price point, Mountain Lion will be an extremely successful rollout for Apple.

We'll get more official numbers from Tim Cook in September or October during the iPhone keynote.
  21. macrumors Pentium

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Who said anything about worried ? I just had other things to do this week.
  22. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Typically these companies are providing traffic tracking for a handful of websites and or apps and pull it from that.

Which makes the numbers suspect depending on what the sources are. The truth is that the number could be much higher, or much lower.
  23. macrumors 68040

Dec 14, 2006
    somewhere else
    Web browsers send identification about what program it is (software name, version) as well as operating system platform. Website operators use this information to serve up the best code for the particular visitor.

Try this site:

and press the Start button.

Analytics firms use a variety of sources to measure Internet activity. Many are focused on display ads. It just so happens that Chitika is an online advertising firm, so they are basically looking at the systems that are accessing Chitika advertisements. These firms not only sell ads, but also provide metrics on the effectiveness of each one, etc.
  24. macrumors 65816

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm not on the list at all right for Lion or Mountain Lion. The installer doesn't complete and internet recovery tries to recover to Mountain Lion instead of Lion and my mac isn't registered with Apple as having Mountain Lion yet, so that fails as well.

I've argued that the digital installation covers everything you can do with a disk, but I guess things can go wrong if the installer is corrupted as I think is the case with mine. I made a thumb drive with the installer before attempting the install and that doesn't work either.
  25. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    FEMA Region VIII
    Will we have to suffer a similarly inane headline for 4%, 5%, etc.?