OS X Mountain Lion Distributed to AppleCare Representatives Ahead of Public Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With just over a week left in the month of July that is expected to see the launch OS X Mountain Lion, 9to5Mac reports that Apple has officially distributed the final version of OS X Mountain Lion to members of its AppleCare support team. The company has provided employees with Mac App Store download codes to allow them to install the forthcoming operating system on their main work machines.
    [​IMG]

Apple has yet to announce an exact launch date for OS X Mountain Lion beyond "July", but it appears that it could be targeting this Wednesday, July 25, with an announcement perhaps coming on the company's earnings conference call the day before. Apple used a similar launch strategy last year for OS X Lion, announcing as part of the introductory remarks for its earnings conference call that the operating system would launch the following day.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Distributed to AppleCare Representatives Ahead of Public Launch

2. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Tuesday or Wednesday is almost definitely the day!

3. macrumors G5

jav6454

So it begins... the next big hit on servers and data centers for Apple; hope they are ready.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Is this an existing practice to give CSRs an advance copy and more to the point, electronically with a redeem code? Apple seems to generally be morphing their distribution models this year.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

Great—but no matter what company the product is from, I’d rather wait for the first... or better yet second... point update. Public release is always a bigger test than any prior test. I want that benefit!

9. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I wonder if my MBA that I ordered which will be deliver on the 25th of this month have ML preinstalled!?

10. macrumors 6502a

Was kinda hoping they had put in some last minute tweaks to improve the animation lags we've been seeing on the Retina MBP (ML GM). Looks like they didn't tweak the GM any further.

I guess rMBP owners can just hope Apple isn't done optimizing the graphics processing capabilities of the OS and will release ML updates soon.

11. macrumors member

dbyway

I just got the new Macbook Pro with retina display not too long ago, I know in the past they've done some free OS upgrades for people who've purchased their products within a certain timeframe. Will they be doing this for people like me?

12. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

13. macrumors 6502a

Well, you get ML free but you prob know that. Updates are usually free whereas new operating systems do have a slight cost but it's usually just $20 - $30.

14. M87
    macrumors 65816

Anyone that bought a new Mac after June 11th gets Mountain Lion free.

15. macrumors member

dbyway

16. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

They should give MacRumors members a copy so we can test it out... If you know what I mean.:D

17. macrumors 6502a

MrNomNoms

I hope that it also includes updates for iWork as well because my credit card is ready to be charged when they arrive :D hopefully if it arrives Tuesday/Wednesday, I move into my new place on Monday next week and have my internet all hooked up then. Hopefully iWork refresh will be out with the expansion of iCloud services. What will be interesting is where 10.9 and 10.10 occurs - are we going to move to rolling releases where maybe the next release is free since the 30% cut taken from developers via the AppStore is probably more than enough to fund Mac OS X development.

18. macrumors 603

roland.g

People are often under the mistaken myth that Apple makes $$ from their 30% cut. The 30% that Apple charges on the iTunes Store (music, movies, apps, etc), and Mac App Store just covers overhead. It is break even to a minimal profit. They do it because it helps them sell gobs and gobs over iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It is less than 3-5% of their profit.

19. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

They've been ready with Lion! I didnt have any problem last year.

20. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

MMMMMMM
    I already downloaded a torrent anyway to test it. Don't worry; I erased it after trying it once. I'm seriously considering buying it when it comes out.

21. macrumors 6502

I'm still having issues with iTunes and Xcode in the GM. The basic OS seems okay though. I guess they'll fix these bugs in 10.8.1 or individual application updates.

22. macrumors 65816

kylera

What I'm curious about is - since I got my Air at the end of June, it makes me eligible for the free ML update. After its release, if I find a need to use the Internet Recovery feature, would I get Lion or ML?

23. macrumors 6502

Isn't there a bug where installation fails if the user has enabled FileVault 2 in Lion? I think it will be a disaster if this build goes live..

24. macrumors regular

Yeah this is pretty much why I said screw it and bought a MacBook Pro. Stuck it in a BookArc, connected it to an external monitor, and called it a day. God only knows when they are going to get around to giving their non-mobile line some love.

25. hellomoto4, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Does anyone happen to know how many days after this occurred last year Lion was released?

EDIT:
    Definitely looking at this week then. Perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday.