OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops Support for Some Older 64-Bit Macs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Apple having seeded the golden master build of OS X Mountain Lion to developers earlier this week, the company has locked in which Macs will support the forthcoming version of the operating system. While the machine requirements have been known for some time, the seeding of the final public release is a good time to remind users which machines will support Mountain Lion.
    Ars Technica has more on Apple's decision, including discussion of why Apple has dropped support for some early 64-bit Macs that do support OS X Lion.
    The report notes that some of the GPUs used in early 64-bit Macs were deprecated before 64-bit KEXTs were in common usage, and thus they were never upgraded from their original 32-bit KEXTs. With the affected machines now being a number of years old, Apple apparently decided that it was not worth investing the resources to upgrade those drivers to 64-bit in order to support OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops Support for Some Older 64-Bit Macs

2. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Looks like Mountain Lion is the end of the road for my Mid 2007 iMac! Hopefully some nice new ones released in time for 10.9 :D

3. macrumors regular

The ARS report seems to miss that EFI64 is required for Mountain Lion. While a Mac might have a CPU capable of 64-bit, it still might be running EFI32 and therefore won't be supported. No EFI64 means no 64-bit kernel which means no Mountain Lion.

4. macrumors 603

what about my Powerbook? that was 64bit, i should be able to run it on that

5. macrumors 68020

applesith

6. mdntcallr, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Whoah, bad news for me using a 3.0 2x dual core mac pro tower maybe.

Kinda pisses me off my mac pro may not get new osx, especially when there isn't a proper new mac pro. Apple ought not release osx that won't work on semi recent models. Pretty bad for customers. Could be an reason to upgrade... To a windows workstation

7. macrumors 603

bedifferent

How much effort does it take to upgrade a kext/driver? I would guess less effort than working on "Game Center".

8. macrumors 603

They dropped all models which do not support at least OpenGL 3.2 core profile. I think this is the main story here. Personally, I welcome this decision.

9. macrumors regular

I have 3 - 2007 mac pros at work. Not happy. Especialy as an iOS developer where apple will surely force me to run the latest OS X to run the latest version of xcode.

10. macrumors 68000

Good thing I upgraded from my early 2008 MacBook (plastic) to an early 15" MBP 2011 last summer. Don't want to miss out on Mountain Lion.

11. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are 3+ years old.

12. macrumors 6502a

Barely made the cut on a unibody Late 2009, white MacBook :confused:

13. macrumors 601

Schtumple

This is very true.

14. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

First Unibody Macbooks released in 2008 had EFI32 only and yet can still run Mountain Lion.

15. macrumors 68000

very fair.

this is why im on the verge of jumping ship entirely to apple.

my notebook is a sony vaio and support has been weak.

have they invented two button mouses yet in the apple world? :p

16. macrumors 6502

I am running my Mac Pro 2,1 on Mountain Lion DP4. I'll be upgrading it when it is paid for.

You CAN run it on a Mac Pro 2,1 and earlier.

It took me a little time but really it is quite simple once you know what you are doing. You can PM me if you need any help.

Here is how you do it on a Mac Pro

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

17. macrumors 68030

G51989

" macs last/supported longer than windozers lolz " whoops.

Sarcasam aside, its pretty typical of Apple to stop supporting computers pretty quickly. It helps force users to upgrade. Business model.

Hopefully 10.7 will be supported for awhile so older machine users can get more use out of their machines

18. macrumors 68000

Carniphage

A glimmer of hope for older Mac Pros

The members on this forum thread seem to be making some headway in getting ML to run on older Macs - turning Macintoshes into Hackintoshes.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.0.html

I haven't tried it, but someone should.

19. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Working on the low levels required for hardware access in a driver is where 32bit to 64 bit porting requires the most effort as often you're dealing with fixed width registries and can't simply "recompile" code into a 64 bit binary, you have to adjust types.

20. macrumors 68000

No. But you still don't have much of a reason to right click on a Mac ;) So it's all good.

21. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm pretty certain a few years ago people used to say "5+ years", by 2015 are people going to be saying "People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are the last generation."

22. macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

From what I read, looks like a machine that is 5+ years old can still run ML. Interesting.

23. macrumors 68030

Agreed!

24. macrumors regular

In that case, I guess it's boo ****** hoo for the unsupported. It's not like unsupported hardware will stop working when ML is released.

25. Navdakilla, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

macrumors 65816

Not a big deal. They are dropping support for computers 4-5 years old.
    I would love to see my old single core windows xp computer handle windows 8.

Edit: Guess my old computer could run it afterall. My bad