OS X mounts ext3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kaosfere, Nov 1, 2003.

1. kaosfere macrumors member

Hi, all. Forgive the n00b question here. I'm a soon-to-be switcher (*knock on wood*) and trying to plan how I'm going to migrate a bunch of data from my old Linux box to a new PowerBook. I'm thinking of buying an external drive case for my IDE drive, slurping everything off of there, then reformatting it to use as a backup drive.

Which brings up my question. I've searched and I can't for the life of my figure out whether or not OS X will mount an ext3 file system. Anyone know? I can't see why it wouldn't, given the FreeBSD core, but who knows.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't see that listed as one of the possible file systems to mount; however, I believe that there's a project to port ext3 to Mac OS X.

You can check the available file systems under /System/Library/Filesystems

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

this allows you to create and read ext2 filesystems (and ext3 i believe, but without journaling). give it a try.

4. kaosfere thread starter macrumors member

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You could always set up NFS between the two machines. You'd need a network, of course.

6. Fuz2y macrumors newbie

I have achieved a method that works great to mount ext3 partitions on OS X Startup ;)

http://fuz2y.com/?p=1

Enjoy ツ

7. enfolder macrumors newbie

OS 10.5.3 mounts ext3 (Journaled)?

I'm running 10.5.3 on a MacBook Pro. I have ExtFSManager installed, but I don't seem to have mount_ext2 as a command line option:

> mount_ext2
    bash: mount_ext2: command not found

Any ideas? I don't want to mount this disk at startup, just occasionally. I get an error when I use the GUI.

8. Fuz2y macrumors newbie

9. enfolder macrumors newbie

MacFUSE?

I'm still trying to understand how to use the mount_ext2 command. I have installed MacFUSE and rebooted. Now what? I do not have the mount_ext2 command anywhere in my path. Spotlight can't find it.

Do I need to do something to start MacFUSE? Can you tell me where the mount_ext2 command lives so I can add it to my path?

10. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

use fuse-ext2 instead of ext2 / 3 / whatever

all the mount commands are /sbin/mount_*

ie

sudo mount -t fuse-ext2 /dev/disk1s1 /tmp/ex