OS X MUD Clients?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 1, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I was considering starting WoW again, but then realized I had more fun playing my favorite MUD (medievia.com) than I EVER did on WoW, so I logged back in... great game, but I need a better client!

Rapscallions page is gone, Atlantis feels really sluggish... what else is out there? I'd love a version of MudMaster 2k for OSX, or some sort of clone, but I think I am out of luck. Any suggestions?

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Gah! Ages ago I found a site that listed all the Mac OS X MUD clients out there. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home if someone else hasn't already answered by then.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I tried Cantrip for a while and it was alright but nothing compares to zMUD.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I used zMud until MM 2k came out... I'm just gonna have to get a new Intel Mac so I can run MM or zMUD in Parallels or WINE/CrossOver. ;)

5. relimw macrumors 6502a

A graphical client for a text mud? :eek: Don'tcha know that you really want to be running tinyfugue?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist... It's been ages since I've played any, are any of the decent ones still ticking?

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

tf is nice but for those without a knowledge of unix-based command line interfaces, it can be a bit tricky to get setup just right. But it IS uber powerful especially for making bots but no one would think of doing anything like that.

7. relimw macrumors 6502a

Not these days...ah well.
    Gone are the days of installing NetBSD on the Amiga without having a fancy installer to help you through it ;)

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I used to use the text version of MudMaster (in my dark PC days), then my computer got fast enough to run zMUD as fast as MM in the console, so I could multitask and have notes, maps, webpages, etc running while I played. MM2k had a better scripting engine than zMUD (and was free, not shareware) when it came out so I switched to that. I hear zMUD has come a long way in the last few years though... I hadn't played any MUDs in about 3 years, until this week. :)

As far as good MUDs still running, Medievia is a HUGE world and has lots of players still. They've added tons of new features in the last few years, including a cool text-based mapping system for both between zones (the 'wilderness') and now in the zones (where it only shows you where you have been). They went on to make a special font that makes the map look excellent: it reminds me of ZZT and the other old text based adventure games (Adventure Games Workshop I think is what the make your own game system for Apple II's was called).

In the middle of the week in the middle of the day (so hardly primetime) there are 200+ players on, which is enough to make it fun... weekends and evenings I've seen 600+ online at once. Only this that is potentially 'bad' about it is the controversy over the source code. It was originally a DikiMUD game, but that was ~14 years ago. The owner says it is completely rewritten code, but there is some question about whether or not that is true, plus even if it was, it is still a derivative of DikuMUD so should be following its licensing rules, and crediting the DikuMUD team... it's all pretty speculative, and while it's a shame there has to be controversy over it, it's still a fun game.

I'm trying out the client Savitar right now, and it seems pretty good but I can't get the font colors to change (I want it to be a black background, but it's stuck on this horrible dark blue). It expires after 30-days and costs ~$15, so I'm not sure if I will register it. I think I really will just buy an Intel Mac and try MM2k with CrossOver and then Parallels if it doesn't work... :p

Who said the Intel mini was no good for gaming? ;)

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That looks promising... thanks!