OS X Network Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lee.anderson, Jan 7, 2007.

1. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Hi,
    At the moment i'm using Parallels to connect to the internet because OS X won't. It just doesn't recognize it.

It's a USB ADSL Modem, and i've noticed in System Prefs under networking, when parallels is closed it says "Your are connected to the internet by" and then it says my IP address and other information.
    But when i launch the internet browser the internet doesn't work!
    So it says i'm connected to the internet, but i can't connect to the internet (sorry if it sound confusing)
    It only has showed that in System prefs when I installed Parallels.
    Is there anything i'm doing wrong, because it just won't connect to the internet.
    Thankyou:)

2. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Can you use another method of connecting rather than USB? Ethernet, for example? USB modems are notorious for having connection difficulties with OS X.

4. lee.anderson thread starter macrumors regular

lee.anderson

I've tried loads of different website, but the "page cannot be displayed" comes up every time.
    The modem has got an ethernet and usb port, but my dad is using the ethernet. I had no problem with the internet on my powerbook g4, it was running 10.4.8 and was working with the internet.
    On christmas i had my intel mini, so the problem is that the intel version of OS X doesn't recognize it. Thats what happened to my dads computer as well. He had a G4 and the internet worked with the USB, but when he got an intel iMac it never, so i gave him the ethernet, and now the same thing has happened to me.

My computer works with the ethernet but not the USB. But it says i'm connected to the internet in system prefs. I'm sure its a driver problem, is there anything else I can try?
    Thankyou:)

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is a known problem with modems that MacOS X does not like to connect to them is they acquired an IP-address via another OS. The workaround is to power-down the modem for 30 seconds and force it to get a new IP address.

If you want to connect to the Internet using several different computers, you should buy a router and connect your modem to its WAN port. Each computer can then be plugged into an available LAN port.