OS X on a bondi blue imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by compudude86, Mar 11, 2007.

1. compudude86 macrumors newbie

compudude86

hello,
    i have upgraded my bondi blue iMac to a 20gb hard drive and (for now)300 -/+mb ram. i put in my osx disk, formatted it, partitioned it to -/+ 5gb and 14gb partitions, installed osx on the 5gb partition, it went through its install, it rebooted, i popped otu the cd, and i get the flashing question mark folder. WTF? so i wiped the drive again, installed, still nothing. i zapped PRAM, tried again. nothing. i tried holding down X. nothing. i tried the option-command-n-v, nothing. im running out of ideas here. any help would be greatly appreciated as its caused much stress. i know it can be done, when i was in high school we had a few bondis running osX. just lost here. thanks

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Depends what version in on the install disc. According to Mactracker, the original Bondi blue iMac will only run up to version 10.3.9.

3. macgeek77 macrumors regular

First, did the hard drive ever work? It is possible that the hard drive and the rest of the computer are just not speaking. Also, it is possible that the partitioner corrupted something on the hard drive as well.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

5. compudude86 thread starter macrumors newbie

compudude86

yes, the drive did work. it was pulled out of one of my HPs because i needed to give it a biger drive, so i put my 20gb in the mac. im sure 5gb is enough, it never gave me an "out of space" notice, it all installed with few errors. it is an older osx, like 10.2-something. im not at it right now so i couldnt tell.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmm...you might try booting up with the install disc and going up to the utilities menu. I can't remember if the startup volume/folder utility is there, but if it is, give that a go first (just select the folder you want to startup from). Then, barring success in that realm, open the disc utility from the install discs utility menu and check to make sure the partition system you set up is still set up that way and you might as well verify the disks and correct permissions while you are there.

7. Flenz macrumors member

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When you say wiped the drive again, did you erase the whole drive then partition to 5 and 14GB partitions? Or did you just erase the 5GB partition?

The early iMacs had an issue with HDs larger than 8GB. Apple Reference. if you use a larger one, you must partition the drive so that the first partition is 8GB or less. A 5GB partition should work.

I would try erasing the entire HD with zeros, then partition to 6 and 13GB (to give yourself a little more space for Mac OS X), then install on the 6GB partition.

BTW, I had the same problem with my Bondi Blue (original) iMac G3. It took me a couple of times to get a good install for some reason. But in the end, it worked okay. Note, I don't remember if I used Panther or Jaguar as it has been a while.

9. compudude86 thread starter macrumors newbie

compudude86

ok, verified and repaired permissions. no go. changed startup disk, still no go. it is version 10.3.2. i am thinking about "bitwiping" the drive, but is there a good way to do this on the mac or do i have to use a low level format program on the pc?

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not necessary, the Disk Utility erase should be sufficient. Did you catch that the OSX partition must be the FIRST partition created, and less than 8 Gb? If you created the 14 then the 5, that wouldn't work.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Lose The Partitioning

No and a drive that small should NOT be partitioned.

12. compudude86 thread starter macrumors newbie

compudude86

it is a 5gb partition on a 20gb drive. im actually gonna move this thread to hardware, because now after installing OSX, having it hang at boot, then in os 9.1, zero-writing the drive and reinstalling 9.1, that hangs as well now, so im guessing its hardware