os x on macbook pro? any help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cpixer, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cpixer macrumors newbie

Newly purchased 1.83 ghz macbook pro from ebay. This is my first mac so still trying to learn how these things operate. It did not come w/ restore discs. I'm wondering how can I ever reformat? Do they sell the os x for intel macbooks retail? I can't seem to find. And everything on ebay and the apple website say it will not install on an Intel notebook. Any advice or suggestions?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

All currently shipping boxes of Mac OS X run on both PPC and Intel systems...I believe that 10.4.6 is the version currently appearing in retail boxes. You can get through Apple if you want to be sure you get a current version.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It might also be worth contacting Apple and seeing if they can help you. You should have received a (typically two) DVD set containing OS X, developer tools (XCode, etc), iLife, and the other software that is bundled with the MBP. The seller apparently did not include these discs.

4. cpixer thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, so he refunded me a small amount. I purchased the retail tiger. But when I was trying to reformat says incompatible. I call apple, tech tells me it'll work just boot from the dvd hold down C. Holding C does nothing just goes str8 to the desktop as usual. Emailed seller, he told me to just use the admin password and change in options. Played with that for a bit, but all I ended up doing was creating another Admin (me) so now I have 2 admin accounts does that matter?? Called apple tech talked for what seemed like an eternity n finally had me go into netinfo n delete other user. So I think its gone? lol

Main concern though is how do I set notebook to boot when I hold down C? Any help guys? I can always call apple support again,but they dont seem to have patience for newbs lol. Thanks in advance

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As far as I am aware the retail copies of OSX sold at the moment are PPC only (so will not work on Intel machines). This will change with Leopard. All Intel machines have shipped with Tiger so there is no reason for Apple to sell retain copies.

From the (UK) store page for the retail version of Tiger:

Hardware Requirements

Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger requires a Macintosh with:

* PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor
    * Built-in FireWire
    * DVD drive is required for installation
    * At least 256MB of physical RAM

Note no Intel CPUs. You need the real restore DVD.

6. cpixer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks... Thats what I thought, but the apple guy assured me to buy the 10.4.6 from them and that it would work. Oh well, i'll see about refund and just wait for leopard later. Mac is awesome as is :) no biggie

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Watch eBay for restore DVDs. They pop-up from time to time. Just mak sure you get MacBook Pro ones. Restore DVDs for other machines might refuse to install as well.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh buggers...I gave you bad advice. Sorry. :eek:

robbieduncan is absolutely correct. The retail version of OS X does not work on Intel computers. So your options are to call Apple direct and try to get one that will or try to pick up a secondhand set of discs somewhere.

I can't imagine why on earth I told you what I did...I know better than that. :(