"OS X" or "OS TEN"?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ohcrap, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I understand that it is pronounced "OS Ten" because X is the Roman numberal for the number 10, but I cannot help but call it "OS X" as in the letter X.

Am I the only one who does this? Just curious... :cool:

Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched and did not find.. :)

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I do it too. I thought that Apple intended it as such, but what do I know? ;)

scem0

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i say 'ten,' but thats just me, after all it does follow OS 9....

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i say "X"

i like the whole "OS X" because it sounds like "oh sex" [shrugs] i dunno... :D

apple is a smart smart company!

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I say OS Ten but thats probably because I'm used to saying OS Eight and OS Nine. All my Windows friends say "OS Ex". I personally think "OS Ex" sounds cooler.

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I believe Steve Jobs uses OS 10 in his keynotes, I was also confused and took note of it last time.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

OS Ten. Steve says OS Ten, so it's OS Ten. OS X does sound cool though. Better than 'Vista' – "A pleasing view, especially one seen through a long, narrow opening". WTF?

8. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is probably the biggest distinguishing factor here. Long-time Mac users who have become used to saying "OS Eight" and "OS Nine" in the past are probably more likely to say "OS Ten", simply following suit. Windows users, and recent switchers (like myself) read OS X and see the letter X, and sometimes, in my case anyways, they later find out that it is properly referred to as "OS Ten" when they discover that the previous versions were numbered accordingly.

That's my theory, anyways. ;)

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

The Trademark is pronounced "Oh, Ess, ten"

It's a play on words as it is in keeping with the numerology scheme while introducing the "X" from the Unix side of the house. Nice little entendre.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

All true. For me, when coming into OS X for the first time, I used to say 'X', despite using 8 & 9 beforehand, but it didn't feel right as such, it was just good to be far, far away from my old 9.1 200/66 or whatever it was. As soon as I heard Jobs refer to it as Ten, I knew I'd been wrong to use 'X', but I still use it when talking to others who may not be all that aware of OS Ten.

I think using 'X' makes a visual jump too. With Ten being such a quantam leap from 9, I'm not sure it wasn't a carefully constructed ploy by Apple to stick with the old but give it a new angle.

It's odd because you might not look at Tiger packaging and say, 'that's a ten' you might say, 'that's an X' . But then, saying, this update is X point 2 or X point 3. It doesn't sound right again.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I say OS X. If Apple wanted it to be called OS Ten, they would have named it such...

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I say OS ten. When X first came out I read somewhere that it was a pet peeve of Jobs to call it OS ex.

I can't remember where I read it and have no clue if its true but since then, its os ten for me.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh well i better run with my tail between my legs and immediately begin calling it "ten" :D he can bite me, that was planned, the "X" and if it is really his pet peeve than he should have planned better. somehow i imagine Jobs has bigger fish to fry than caring what people call the OS based on the name they gave it. crickey.

XXXXXXXXXX :p

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Rumor has it that Steve is very petty.

15. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Personally, I could care less who calls it what as far as Steve Jobs or anyone else that has to do with Apple. OS "ex" sounds cooler so that's what I'm saying.

It's like "porsh" and "porsha". A Porche is a "porsh" to me because that's what I think sounds best.

The important thing, I think, is that if Person A says "OS Ten", Person B will know what Person A is referring to, regardless of how Person B pronounces it.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that sucks, i'd like him to keep a stress free life and live a long time to serve me with excellent products! petty worries one makes for themselves (name it "10" then ya wanker!) just make no sense. but then again, listen to us discussing it! :D
    oh steve... pppfffffffffttttttt tsk tsk tsk

17. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah, I heard he got really pissed when his iPod broke. Stand back people...

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Steve said "ten", so I say "ten".

Steve said "Jag-wire", but I couldn't follow his lead in good conscience. I said "Jag-whar" like the animal or the automobile, although some pronounce those "jag-you-are".

I'm glad "Tiger" isn't as controversial.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

but the "X" is a matter of interpretation. saying "porsh" is just wrong. as far as i know the german language has no silent letters, the "e" is not omitted in sound in the word porsche. Diatribe? where for art thou?

20. Gwendolyn macrumors member

I used to say "OS Ex", but after finding the need to say "OS 10.3.9" and "OS 10.4.1 and 10.4.2", especially after the Tiger revisions started coming out, through habit and consistency it became "OS Ten" (that is, when I don't say "Tiger" or "Panther" instead). Does anyone who says "OS Ex" also say "OS Ex point four point three"?

21. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Standard Knowledge

Um - they did name it 10, using a numbering system commonly used in the U.S. - the Roman numeral system. Heck, it's on half our clocks.

Would you walk up to the queen and call her "Elizabeth eye eye"? Well, if she wanted to be the second, she should write it out "Elizabeth the Second"?

;)

Anywho - my funny story is that I have a Panther mouse pad given to me by the kind Mac salesman at Best Buy in a picture frame in my office. Many people ask if I'm a Malcolm X fan, but the one that shocked me the most was the Xerox salesman who asked why I had the Xerox logo on my wall. :)

22. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

I say Jag-"wire". I say "porsh". Must be the area I live in because everyone here talks like that. I know it's wrong, I just can't help it!!! :D

23. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

No rhyme or reason behind this, except that I like saying OS "Ex", but if I have to say the full version number, then I usually say "Tiger 10.4.2". Don't ask why, I just do. :confused:

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think the easiest thing would just be to call it Tiger (Panther, Jaguar, Chetah?, Puma?, I believe).

I think that there are a couple of factors in this. Human nature would tell us it is pronounced X (similar to XP : Ex-Pee, sorry guys... :eek: ) But I think it would be easier for the Mac users that have been around since the numerals were actually in the name to get it right, since that's what they're used to.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"X" is the same as "I'll have a Coke" in the South. "Coke? What kind?" "Sprite". OS X? What kind? Panther 10.3.9. "Ten" and "tin", well there's another yarn.
    X