OS X Page updated

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Backtothemac, May 6, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Apple has updated the OS X page to show the new features of X.2

Here is the link http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/

Also, what is up with all of the brushed metal? Is it me or does the new sherlock look a lot like Watson?

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

All the brushed metal makes me think the PowerBooks will stay Ti for quite a while. Seems that Apple is very much going for a monochromatic look in both hardware and software (except for the whole Aqua thing...)

Upon further inspection...

Yeah, wtf is up with the brushed metal? It looks like they're going to completely change the Address Book for it to have this look. Do you think they will change the design guidelines and start moving the look of all apps in this direction? It's going to look kind of funny to have Mail and Address Book have completely different looks. What's going on here?

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I personally think the brushed metal looks like crap. I can take it on iTunes because I can skin it. Also QT, hardly use, so it isn't a big deal. The new brushed metal looks darker, and really looks like crap when compared to aqua.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I think one good reason for them to go brushed metal with the apps is that it differentiates them from the Finder/System windows.

It's VERY easy to see the difference between the metal and pinstripes. :rolleyes:

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Personally, I kind of like the brushed metal look. I just transplanted most of the guts from my peecee into a new case that is all aluminum, with a brushed finish to it. I also fully enjoy the metal look of the TiBook. My tv also has a metallic look to it (even though the case is plastic), as does my dvd player :D. I am even considering doing something to the case of my VG175 lcd screen to make it follow the same lines.

Now, I want to know when 10.2 will actually be released to us, and if QT6 will accept my QT5 registration and be the pro version.

6. holmesf macrumors 6502a

Brushed Metal

I'm okay with a few apps having the brushed metal look like Quicktime and iTunes, but it just doesn't work for some apps. Also, apps that use brushed metal can't resize in real time. It doesn't seem practical to use brushed metal for everything.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think some brushed metal apps loox cool. But having everything be brushed metal will, IMO, start to look very boring.

Lethal

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

And pinstripes still seem fresh and new? ;)

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

true, but that's the case with anything. i don't think they'll drive it into the ground. they'll mix it up at some point i'm sure.

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I think they should have a few different choices and then have an editor for "advanced" users so that you can create a simple look to suit your own needs....maybe app specific. Just put that baby in the preferences and I'll be happy!