OS X Panther that came with iMac G5 on iMac G4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Poff, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Hi.

I just ordered a used copy of Panther from a guy who got it with his iMac G5. I don't believe I'll have any problems installing it on my G4, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Thanks in advance,
    Erlend

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

If he's sending you a retail version then it will work. If not, and he's sold you the OS X CD/DVD from an iMac G5 I don't believe this will work on an iMac G4.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It this is the case, it may or may not work. Its not supposed to work anyway, but there are reports of rare instances when the recovery CD from on make/model worked on anther make/model. Also, if this is the case, its not really legal.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

people believe this ....but I just looked at the software EULA that came with my G5 iMac and it clearly gives you the right to sell the system software.....you have to follow all the rules and not retain any copies of course.....but it is legal to sell it according to the license that came with my machine

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I was under the impression that recovery CDs will work on a computer older than the one it came from, but the recovery disc from an older machine isn't likely to work with a newer machine. The version of OS X on the discs is just a normal version of the software, but it has whatever the update needed to install on that (at the time) new system, so it SHOULD contain everything that is needed to install on hardware that was available before that point release.

I also agree that it is legal to buy a license of the OS from someone who has replaced it with a newer one and use it on another machine. I don't THINK the EULA restricts that license of OS X to a specific machine. Could be wrong.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not a lawyer and I hate fine print, but it says under 1. General, "The software (including Boot ROM code)...". Under 3. Transfer it says, "the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License;".

I assume the Boot ROM is the ROM in the machine. If this is correct, I take this as:
    You can transfer software that came with a machine only when you transfer all of it. Since the Boot ROM Code is in the machine, you can only transfer the software when you sell the machine.

If anyone finds a fault in this logic or has a better understanding of Contracts, please correct me or explain further.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't like the fine print either but here's why I disagree with you;

When I compare the EULA that came with my iMac to the EULA that came in the retail box of Jaguar that I bought several years ago, I find that the wording of the two licenses is pretty much the same (even the bit about Boot ROM Code)..........absolutely nothing in either license indicates whether or not the software was sold as a bundle with a computer, and in neither license is there language that modifies the license because it has been acquired as part of the purchase of a computer..........with the same language in the licenses, your rights and limitations are going to be the same.

Is there any question about your right to transfer ownership of the license that you buy in a retail box without a computer? I don't think so......

same license=same rights

that's what I think anyway

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's been in there for as long as I can remember. The old (pre-G3) Macs had part of the OS stored in a boot ROM. As of the Blue and White G3, there is no longer any OS code stored inside the ROM. If you look at OS 8.5 or newer, you'll find a file in the System Folder called "Mac OS ROM". It contains the information that used to be stored in the ROM chip.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, thank you for clearing that up. Blows my theory to bits. :eek: