Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grobelaar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
OK, can anyone help! I’ve just moved into a new house. And one of my housemates has got an iMac that he got off his brother. The old crt, retro boiled sweet style one. He says it has Jaguar installed on it, only when it boots up – it asks him for log-on and password.

Neither he, or his brother knows or remembers the password.

I have a copy of OS9.2, for my G3 Power Mac. My Panther recovery disc from my Powerbook and a full copy of Panther (CDs). What do I have to do to get this person’s computer up and running. I don’t as yet know any of the specs of the iMac or whether it’s capable of running Jaguar or Panther.

Any tips, to be honest I’m still only in the paddling pool when it comes to OS X, as I still use my OS 9.2 Power Mac for most of my design work. So I’m a bit lost.

Any help, or links to help gratefully rec’d

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
grobelaar said:
OK, can anyone help! I’ve just moved into a new house. And one of my housemates has got an iMac that he got off his brother. The old crt, retro boiled sweet style one. He says it has Jaguar installed on it, only when it boots up – it asks him for log-on and password.

Neither he, or his brother knows or remembers the password.

I have a copy of OS9.2, for my G3 Power Mac. My Panther recovery disc from my Powerbook and a full copy of Panther (CDs). What do I have to do to get this person’s computer up and running. I don’t as yet know any of the specs of the iMac or whether it’s capable of running Jaguar or Panther.

Any tips, to be honest I’m still only in the paddling pool when it comes to OS X, as I still use my OS 9.2 Power Mac for most of my design work. So I’m a bit lost.

Any help, or links to help gratefully rec’d
I don't know if this will work or not, but try booting the Mac from the first Panther CD (hold C while the Mac is starting up and the first Panther CD is in the drive) - if necessary, hold the mouse button down to get the CD drive open - and choose Reset Password from the Installer menu instead of installing Panther.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.