os x problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rekras, Mar 25, 2003.

1. rekras macrumors regular

hi ive had my iMac (flatscreen) 800mhz running 10.2.4 for about a year now and I have had zero problems with it. Yet, recently some rather large ones have come up. The computer will not print, won't run up classic mode (it will reboot in 9), and the software update comes up with an error when i look for upgrades. I'm pretty compitent on macs and can not find a solution. I don't have any utility programs for X yet but I'm ready to get one. I'm thinking maybe the hardrive is fragmented? I'm not really sure... I was wondering if anyone could help me out or is sharing similar problems, also what utility programs you would recommend.

thanks

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. rekras thread starter macrumors regular

4. rekras thread starter macrumors regular

how is norton utilities 7? i know norton in the old days used to sometimes create more problems than it fixed

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Disk fragmentation affects system performance but does not cause error messages to appear like those you describe. Post the exact error messages you are getting when you try to print, start Classic, or do a software update. Maybe that will provide more clues as to what is wrong.

Also, did all these symptoms seem to start at the same time? And did anything "interesting" occur with your system about the same time, e.g., new hardware or software added, Mac OS update installed, etc.?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Remove all Peference files, and restart.

If that doesn't work, reinstall OSX (A Clean install i.e. just replacing the "System" folder)

TEG

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i thnk you mean "archive install" which will back up all data files

8. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: os x problems

Umm... how???