OS X RAM Tester?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mc68k, Mar 6, 2003.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    is there a RAM tester? there has to be a CLI Unix port or something, right? i did a search on VT and came up w/nothing...

the only one that was in existance to my knowledge isn't around anymore. :(
  2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    Apple Hardware Test, it came in the packet of CD's that you recieved when you bought your computer. That will test the RAM, along with the rest of the hardware. You might run it a couple times, just for good measure.

Edit: It only runs off the CD.
  3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Eh. The hardware test may work, but it sure didn't for me. Kernel causing RAM plauged me for a while, and the Apple Hardware Test only prolonged the ordeal. I then put to rest any thoughts of hardware problems after running the test, so I was pretty angry to discover that it was bad RAM all along. The Hardware Test failed for me.

I don't know of anything else however, so you might as well give it a try.

Good Luck.
  4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I've never heard of a software memory test program that actually worked... the best memory test I know of is to do a task that shifts lots of data around and is very sensitive to errors, like compiling a large program. Oftentimes RAM glitches randomly, not in a way that can be quickly tested for. Only lots of stress and time can find errors.