OS X Reinstall = Missing Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Celeron, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I decided to do a completely fresh install of OSX on my PB. Having never done an OSX install before I was curious to know how the process went. I went ahead and backed all my files and saved a few things in compressed disk images so I could have them later.

After I backed up my documents and such I went ahead and did an "Erase and Install" option, did a custom install to get rid of classic and all the language support which reduced the default install size from a whopping 3.3gigs to a mere 1.2gig. 10 to 15 minutes later everything was reinstalled and I was back up and running again.

Much to my dismay however a few handy apps didn't reinstall, nor did I see an option for them when I did the OSX installation. Namely all the bundled apps that came with my PB such as GraphicConverter / OmniGraffle / etc...

Did I just miss the option? If not, where can I get these apps again? Are they lost forever? Not a big deal really, but they were handy at times.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You need to use your included software install disc to reinstall your bundled applications. It is a light gray disc.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Powerbook G5 is correct, and it is not a painful process at all, if you can locate the CD that came with your computer. However, if you have updated (or registered) any software, like GraphicConverter, etc., that will have to be addressed.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If your PowerBook came with a single DVD, you'll need to insert it and click the icon to install additional applications. On my Power Mac it's called "Install Applications & Mac OS 9", but it may be called something else on systems without OS 9 (maybe "Install Applications & Classic Support"). You'll be able to customise the installation, so you won't be forced to install Classic by clicking it.