OS X running on a Centris, aka, slow as possible!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mechcozmo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

This guy did something that just hurts. Kinda oldish news methinks, doesn't deserve a current event, but enough to chat about.
    Centris running OS X
    Basically, this guy ran Linux on his 68k-based Centris (68k means the Processor, what came before the PowerPC chips) and then ran PearPC on top of that. It is something like 500 times slower than the normal clock speed he says, which means OS X is running on something about the speed of an Apple I. Maybe slower. :eek:

So to all of you G3 users out there, feeling OS X slowly getting slower... it can always be worse.

And check out the last comment on the site, near the bottom... Longhorn might still be in the "beta" phase when he finishes doing Photoshop work on his Macintosh II. ;) :p

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And the best part is that he's not even breaking the OS X EULA! :D

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well like he said he doesnt have anything better to do with his time:)

4. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

The bad news is it failed on her. Danamania is going to try again eventually. It wouldn't run on her centris, so she is trying it on a LC AFAIK.

5. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Where do you get the "her" and the "it failed" things? I looked over that website and I couldn't figure out anything beyond what I posted...

6. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Sorry, I am a member of the aforementioned forums, and followed the whole story before the article was slashdotted, and was on the whirlwind of not being able to get into the forum when the server was overloaded.

7. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Aw thats a shame it failed. I'm sure she'll try again.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hehe bad luck with the LC too. It's not 24-bit clean, has the wrong pmu and doesn't have a FPU... Not sure if its possible to install m68k linux on it.. (well it's never impossible to install linux, it only takes some time..) :p