Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
According to CNet, Apple has submitted Mac OS X for an independant security evaluation.

The testing, being done as part of the U.S. government's National Information Assurance Partnership, will evaluate Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server on a series of common criteria used by a number of countries to evaluate the security features of various technologies. The evaluation allows governments and businesses to compare the relative security features of different products.

Submitting the operating system for testing could help give the Mac more clout in government circles, said Tom Goguen, director of worldwide product marketing for Apple's server software unit.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well maybe they can get OS X running on the 286's that run our NATIONAL FLIGHT TRACKING systems. of course it wouldnt look to good on a MONOCHROME screen!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
good, more power to them. I think that this coiuld be a big boost for Apple. I have a friend at the State Department who uses Macs at home, but appearantly Gov. IT ain't intereted.

;)

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
Hmmmmm

I don't know but there have been big security leaks in OS X... I don't know if they are already fixed but I think it won't be secure enough for the gouvernement

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
there haven't been big security leaks in OS X. there have been big security leaks in apache and openSSL. big difference. apple did a great job packaging the fixes in a timely manner.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Software is coming. Government is the single biggest buyer of computers in the US. (AFAIK disclaimer :)

Some enterprising individuals should start some consulting businesses for the government fitting the software to their needs. Could sell a bunch of easy to use imacs, emacs and more.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
This is so Apple with have an evaluation, so they can in future create a secrue Darwin kernel, just like Solaris, or AIX have done. So being the tests, etc. will take a year or so to complete, this will not make anyone in the Gov't's buying dept. turn their heads and sign a check. There is little chance that Apple got EVERYTHING right right off the bat, this will merely tell them where to improve so they can come back and try again :D

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Reasons for Security Evaluation

Originally posted by shadowfax0
This is so Apple with have an evaluation, so they can in future create a secrue Darwin kernel, just like Solaris, or AIX have done. So being the tests, etc. will take a year or so to complete, this will not make anyone in the Gov't's buying dept. turn their heads and sign a check. There is little chance that Apple got EVERYTHING right right off the bat, this will merely tell them where to improve so they can come back and try again :D

I think you called this right, however I believe there is a reasonable chance that they will pass the first time for the simple reason that they are building on a known software foundation. Given that the evaluation takes over a year (according to a local San Diego paper), it may include "find and fix" opportunities. Not sure what the rules are, but I doubt that it is a simple pass/fail.

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
So I would guess then that Apple is submitting Jaguar. Do you think Apple would submit anything for such testing without feeling confident that it will stand up to the competition? Any idea about security improvements in 10.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.