OS X Server advice please(possible conversion)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jncrow, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jncrow macrumors member

Nov 5, 2003
    I have a friend that I am slowing converting to the mac platform. He is head of IT at a medium size hospital and got him looking into the mini to replace some of his desktops. He is presently getting frustrated with his exchange server and outlook combination. He keeps looking at os x server and wondering if it will handle the task better. His concern is what is in place for the calendar sharing how well webmail works and migration from exchange server to os x server. If anyone is versed in some of these issues and can help me out and get his questions answered we may be able to get another good switch.

Thanks in advance all.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Good job on converting a friend.

As for switching over a hospital, your friend should call Apple.
  3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    My situation is nothing like yours but we run an Xserve where I work connected with 19 iMacs (either old skool DV ones or the G4 dome ones). I absolutely adore the Xserve as it makes my live much easier. From my limited technical knowledge I can sort many of the common problems I experience (although the beauty of the macs here is if anything goes wrong, restart them and they seem to work again just fine!)

I second rdowns's idea of calling Apple. Try and get them to send out a representative to come to them to give them a talk on why they should use Apple, and if it is indeed suitable for their application.