OS X Server Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beatsme, Feb 9, 2007.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

just a few:

it is possible to set up mirroring or RAID striping on XServe, correct? Do I have to use the Xserve RAID for that, or can I rig it to work with the internal drives? Most importantly, can someone point me toward some documentation about any of this? The more I can get my hands on, the better...

thanks in advance

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mirror and stripe RAID configs are possible on both standard and server versions of MacOS X using normal drives.

See this:

http://www.yourmaclife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2183

It supports modes 0, 1, and concatenation (e.g. you have one big virtual disk but there is no striping or redundancy).

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

What's common practice when setting up Mac OS X Server (on an Xserve or other Mac in which you can install 2 or more drives), is using Disk Utility when installing Mac OS X Server to create a RAID 1 (mirror) of two identical drives.
    It works very well. :)

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Disk Utility's RAID features are, of course, built in and free with it, but when I set up an XServe server, I used SoftRAID for the mirroring. It's not an expensive piece of software (around $50 if memory serves), and it has some nice features that OSX's built-in RAID software doesn't.

It's not necessary, but it's worth at least reading over the documentation if you're considering an XServe RAID setup.