Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I have an OS X server 10.4, and I would like to restrict / disable outgoing http access to certain websites. I have been searching but no luck. Does anyone have an idea on what or how to do it?

THANKS!
:cool::apple::confused:

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Checkout Workgroup Manager under Preferences > Parental Controls. Just set as "Always" and add the sites you want to deny access to. You can base these preferences under User, Group, Computer, or even Computer Groups.

jpierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Nope. Couldn't find it. There are no Parental Controls in Preferences.

Are you sure about that? Just for the record, I'm Tiger Server.

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
Parental Controls were added to the Workgroup Manager in 10.5.0. If you have the Leopard Workgroup manager it seems you can apply those settings to a Tiger OpenDirectory.

Personally my solution would be installing a Proxy Server.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Parental Controls were added to the Workgroup Manager in 10.5.0. If you have the Leopard Workgroup manager it seems you can apply those settings to a Tiger OpenDirectory.

Personally my solution would be installing a Proxy Server.

A agree about the proxy server. It's the best way plus then you get to filter out pop-ups and ads too.

But if you only want to block a few web sites then you can do it with some fire wall rules

If you users are at all sophisticated you are going to have to go the proxy/firewall method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.