OS X Server??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ShadowHunter, Oct 1, 2004.

1. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

I am curious about OS X 10.3 Server - what of the client Mac OS X features does it come with? Specifically...I want to still be able to use DVD Player w/ my surround sound (it is the only thing I don't use my PowerBook for - DVDs)....

Secondly, is there a way to format the hard drives in a Dual PM G5 and make them mirrored? I would like redundancy...

2. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

I think that you can mirror the drives with the raid utility, now a part of disk utility. It can be accessed by booting off of a mac install cd.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Mac OS X 10.3 Server is the same OS as Mac OS X 10.3 client, but has more features. Mac OS X Sever installs extra applications and features, and some default settiings can vary, making it easy to configure your computer as any type of server you want it to be.

DVD player, iTunes etc. all work the same on Mac OS X Server, but some software must be downloaded seperately. DVD player is standard, but the iLife Suite must be installed by hand.
    The same drivers are used, also the same hardware compatibility is there, and thus Dolby 5.1 should work like on Mac OS X 10.3 client.

Like GovornorPhatt said, you can configure two drives as a RAID 0 (Stripe) or 1 (Mirror) by booting from a 10.3 CD (or other 10.3 bootable device) and use Disk Utility to configure them as you want.

4. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular