Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

[KMAC] Stan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Please excuse my ignorance - I am a (cough) Windows (cough) user and know nothing about Macs....

In our company we had 2 G4's (OS9.something), each had an external 200Gb HDD attached and both were shared so either G4 can see either HDD.

We have since taken delivery of 2 G5's (OSX - obviously), but the guy that installed them said we can no longer share the external drives, as OSX does not allow sharing of external devices - only internal ones.

Is this really true?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no.
you just have to know how to set up the share for it. Look for a product called SharePoints. It costs but all you do is tell it to make the root of the external hdd a sharepoint and then when people connect to the host computer they will see the external disk's name (can be defined differently in SharePoints) and they will be able to connect to it freely if you let that. Beware that is you want you can set a password on it - i reccomend it.

[KMAC] Stan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Thats brilliant - thanks benixau

I thought this guy didn't really know what he was doing, but he knew a lot more than me, so I couldn't question him too much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.