OS X Shared Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Beej, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Once upon a time (yesterday) I had full access to all machines on my network. Today I don't. So I want to set up my Shared folder, because I deleted it since I had no need for it.

I've tried making a folder called "Shared" inside my home directory, and I've set it's permissions so everyone has Read/Write access. I know that's not how the OS X Shared folder works by default, but I'm happy to let everyone have full access to this folder.

Anyway, the folder I made doesn't show up automatically when I connect to my machine (from another machine) as a Guest User.

Any idea how to set this up?

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: OS X Shared Folder

I don't think I've ever had a Shared folder inside my home directory. There is a /Users/Shared, but no /Users/<username>/Shared. I don't know anything about Apple file sharing, but I am looking at the permissions of my home directory right now and they are drwx------, or 700 in octal (which would mean readable/writable/executable only by the owner and nobody else if you're not a Unix person :) ). That said, the Guest User, if he/she has the privileges I assume he/she does, should not be able to enter, read, or write to anyone's home directory. Which leads me to assume that /Users/Shared is Guest User's "home directory," and thus the directory you should be looking in to "show up automatically" (sorry, I'm not really a Mac networking person so I don't know what that means :) ).

Alex

3. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

I have a clean install of X on one of my machines, and there is a folder called "Shared" inside the /Users/<username>/ directory. It has 700 privs, and inside that is a folder called "Drop Box" which has drop box privs (guests can write only).

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Shared

On my machine, I have a Shared folder (with 777 permissions--everyone can read, write, and execute) at:

/Users/Shared

And a Public folder (with 755 permissions--owner can do everything, others can only read and execute) at:

/Users/<username>/Public

There is no Shared folder in my user directory. I think this is how OS X is set up by default. Beej: maybe you got the name wrong??

Also, I'd be very surprised if you needed that Shared folder to have access to other computers on the Network. I guess you never know, but its highly unlikely.

Matthew

5. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

Arg! You're right, I'm sorry! I got it wrong... the folder is Public, not Shared. Sorry about that, my mistake...

Mmm yeah, it doesn't seem to matter what permissions I give my folders, Guest Users can never see them... ???