OS X slowing down every night at midnight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mke, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mke macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I run OS X 10.4.9. Every night at midnight, my machine slows down a lot.

top -o cpu shows me that there's find, sort, tr and update processes running. My crontabs contain no references to them. I don't want my hard drive indexed every night, it's retarded and useless. I know where my files are and I don't need to "search" for things.

I disabled Spotlight because I figured that was the culprit. No such luck, it's still slowing down. Any ideas?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Hmm. Maybe it is running maintenance at that time?

But that's probably completely wrong because it usually happens around 3-4 in the morning and it's when you aren't using the computer I think...

I'm as clueless as you to be honest.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its searching Apple for any system updates (iLife, actual OS, security patches etc.) and doing god knows what else.

4. mke thread starter macrumors newbie

I have system updater set to do weekly updates. Not nightly. Anyway, that doesn't have anything to do with find, tr, sort or update. "God knows what else" is right, and I am curious to find out what.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

World governments knowing the power of a Mac and OS X have Apple access your computer to help in counter terrorism efforts around midnight.:D

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It is most likely a vampire computer. You should either drive a wooden stake through it's heart, or mail it to me post haste if you cannot locate the heart!

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I didn't even look at the commands, my bad. Those are all local (not network) commands, so its something internal. Most likely some type of automated maintenance or archiving. Email program, maybe?

8. pengu macrumors 6502a

doesnt spotlight re-index some stuff at midnight? not to mention cron jobs for system maintenance..

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

10. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Ok.. i know I have no life.. but what are you doing up at midnight.. behind a mac? God knows I sleep next to my mac.. but at midnight... only sleeping happening... :D :p

11. mke thread starter macrumors newbie

I watch an episode of two of whatever it is that's out before going to bed? :)

I stream this over a network connection, so since my mac slows down, the stream gets interrupted. Really annoying.

12. pengu macrumors 6502a

just because ur in bed at midnight, why assume others would be? i am regularly (most nights) up until about 3am

13. snipper macrumors regular

snipper