OS X space?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, Apr 18, 2006.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    How much space does OS X take up on the hard drive? I want to know before deciding on what hard drive size I want.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    A basic installation on my old iBook took about 5 GB. But once you start putting on the iLife apps and such, it quickly balloons. I'd say 15-20 GB isn't unusual...printer drivers and GarageBand with its associated loops can take up 5+ GB alone.

Edit: Subtracting my music and some large specialized software programs I use for work, my Mac has about 20 GB used. That includes the iLife apps, Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Developer tools.
  3. rye9 macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2005
    New York (not NYC)
    About printer drivers, is it safe to say.. delete the whole Lexmark folder with all 220 MB of files in there? And then what happens if I buy a Lexmark printer, do I just download the driver online.. or would I have needed the stuff I previously had? Are the printer folders just containing stuff I could download when i need them?

Also, what else can be deleted besides printer drivers and languages?
  4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Any apps you don't use? Delete em. Other than that, you should be fine. How big of a hard drive do u plan on getting?

If you delete the printer drivers, yes I believe you can download the drivers off of the website.
  5. frenetic macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2004
    You can also always reinstall the printer drivers from your install disk without having to reinstall the whole OS.
  6. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Also keep in mind that the 1 GB that all hardware stores sell is 1000MB but the really it should be 1024 MB. So a 60GB drive really is ~55GB drive when you see it on the OS.
  7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003

And all the JamPacks alone take up around 20 GB....I still can't get over that.