os x tiger networking help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ironic23, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ironic23 macrumors 6502

hi, i need to access my windows computer which is on the network to retrieve files. remote desktop does not work as i cannot drag and drop files from that computer onto my mac. i was wondering if there was any way for me to type my PCs ip address on tiger, like what you would do in Windows Exlporer on XP when you want to access another computer's shared folder. Thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. ironic23 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. do i have to be on the same ip range to access the windows folder? i'm on a 10.0.0.x and the pc is on a 196.168.0.x. I know that the PC was able to access my mac, but now, i'm having trouble trying to access the PC from my mac. any insights? it gives me an error code -36

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Is the PC behind a router on the network?

I'm assuming that both machines are in the same location but getting their IP Addresses from different routers

5. ironic23 thread starter macrumors 6502

you are right. they are within the same house but are getting ips from 2 different routers. i tried accessing the PC but this message keeps appearing (from the console in utilities)
    mount_smbfs: negotiate phase failed: syserr = Software caused connection abort

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If the PC's router was a NAT router then it might explain the problem your having

its hard to explain but this is how NAT works, basicly the firewall checks up on the traffic coming in and since it doesn't have instructions to take in that data it throws it out

Yet out going data is of course allowed through so you are able to access the Mac from the PC

You may want to try setting up port forwarding on that router's firewall and see if that lets you access the PC from your Mac