OS X updates... passwords??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SasyBabe, Apr 28, 2003.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

I tried to install the updates for my PB but i cant DL them cause its asking for a password... i cant find any password for my user account... is there anyway of finding the password...?????? i think i made one...but i forget what it is.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The only way to fix a "forgotten" password is to boot from the OS X install CD and reset the password from the menu.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Make sure you write down your new password. Each time you want to install new software from Apple, you'll have to enter that password.

Like Rower said, bootup from the OS X CD by holding down the C key. Then, from the menu, select reset password.

4. kray macrumors newbie

You can also re-set your password by simply booting into single user mode (crtl-s). This will bring up osx without the gui and you can change your passwod from the command line...

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't you need a password to run the "passwd" command?

6. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

Thanx everyone... i didnt have to do any of those things... i finally figured out the password... LOL... i was TOOO excited when i got my PB that i guess i didnt check track where i put my password..LOL... can u blame me?!?!?? :D

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

yeah...that's kind of a lame mistake...you should always use something non-trivial that you can remember. key word is REMEMBER.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Nope.
    The idea of single-user mode is that if ab-so-lu-te-ly necessary, you are able to get root-access to a UNIX machine, if (big-"if") you are able to get physical access to it.
    So, starting Mac OS X with <cmnd-S>, lets you start up in single user mode. Now you have to make your boot-volume read/write. (otherwise it's read-only, accepting no changes). You do this by typing: "mount -uw /"
    After that you'll have to type: "SystemStarter" to activate "normal" system startup (no multi-user!) including for example NetInfo.
    Finally you change the user (even root) password, by typing: "passwd <user>", and ofcourse entering the password twice.
    To go back into multi-user mode, type "logout" (or <ctrl-D>), and there you are.
    Now Aqua and all the rest are started, ready for use with the new password(s).

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ah, SystemStarter...cool! Thanks for the info. :)

10. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

LAME??