OS X v10.3.9 DVD Player 'cannot be opened'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rorymilli, Sep 20, 2006.

1. rorymilli macrumors member

Hello Everyone, I've been posting about this elsewhere but I think it's an OS X problem. I have an iMac DV SE G3 CRT slot loader (CD-RW). 60Gb, 600MHz, 640 SDRAM, running Panther 10.3.9 (upgraded from my Jaguar install). I have just got an external DVD+-RW (firewire) so I can play films on my iMac. I have looked in my applications and have DVD Player v 3.2 installed. When I put in a DVD in my Pikaone Dual drive and try and open apple's DVD Player I get the message "The item cannot be opened. It may be disabled or not installed" I know it is installed. I tried using Pacifist to extract the DVD Player from my Panther discs to reinstall but I get a message saying it already exists. When I click on the open packages button in Pacifist I can go to DVD Player in applications but when I click to open it I get this message "Unknown error occured while processing the file DVD Player. As all the software that came with the Pikaone is for PC I am completely stuck. Any suggestions?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you access the DVD from Finder? Maybe try playing the DVD in VLC. :)

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I guess the issue is whether or not DVD player supports external drives.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

no problems here. although i do remember a long time ago i needed to use patchburn to use my external to burn things in certain Apple apps.

5. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I had a problem like this except it was an internal DVD burner. I used an app called Patch and Burn. It straightened out all my problems. I think it uses generic CD/DVD drivers that most drives are compatible with. May work, may not.

6. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

now I'm really in trouble

Hello Again, I've just down loaded VLC and my Pikaone is no longer recognised by my imac. Before I downloaded VLC I could put an audio CD in the External drive and it would mount it and I could than play it, if I put a DVD (film) into the Pika one it would mount so I could see it's files but I couldn't play it. Now whatever I put in the Pikaone is invisible, nothing mounts at all. Any clues? Thanks

7. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Try it.

8. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

problem solved

Hello Everyone, I uninstalled the VLC media program I had downloaded and the Pikaone appeared again on my desktop. Used patchburn to enable burning and Pacifist to reinstall Apple DVD Player and all is well and working. Thanks for all the help.

9. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

new problem - disappearing DVD player

Hello - I thought all was well but it isn't. Everything was hunky dory last night watching DVD's burning CD's and playing music, but when I turned my iMac on this morning the External DVD player wouldn't mount, Patchburn couldn't find it. The iMac couldn't see it at all. I ran disk Utility permissions verify/repair and low and behold the DVD player mounted. I watched a film and played some music on it. I then turned the computer off for a couple of hours and when I put it back on the DVD player had disappeared agin. The permissions trick didn't work a second time. I know the firewire ports and cables are good. Any ideas?:confused:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... Maybe try unmounting it before you put the machine to sleep or shut it down. It shouldn't need to be unmounted but try it out a few times to see if that helps. :)

11. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. I'll have a look around to see if I can find a better fix. It's annoying to keep mounting and unmounting your drive. :)