OS X vs. OS X Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grapes911, Sep 13, 2004.

1. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I was just given a free copy of OS X Server 10.3. I have no idea what to do with it though. I have a g3 ibook and a dual g4 powermac. Both are running panther. Is there any reason I should put server on either of these? My powermac acts a a print server, but thats it. What advantages does os x server have that a normal user would use?

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

GUI's for most of the configurable items, like Apache, user accounts, groups, etc.

It also allows you to run other services that might be harder to configure on OS X, such as VPN services, NAT, JBoss, DHCP, and DNS.

If you are happy with what you are doing now, stick with OS X. Besides, it is not a good thing to get free items when they should cost money.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Sometimes there are nice people buying stuff for you and if you like it, stay with it :rolleyes:

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I guess people buy you a $500 or $1000 (depending on client number) operating systems all the time, eh?

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Hey i've got a question about this! You mentioned that 10.3 server gives you a GUI to configure apache.... Well, i've been trying to configure apache for Panther for the past year, and can't get it to work right. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to get apache to dance to my tune? I've got it serving web pages, but not running any scripts/services.

6. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some of you seemed to wonder how I got it for free, so here is what happened:

I work for an all-mac computer lab at a university. My boss purchased os x sever for the lab. The day it came in, her boss came to her with a university purchased copy that was licensed for the whole campus. She asked her boss what to do and he said she could have the one she bought. She didn't want it so she gave it to me. Now I have an opened, but never used legal copy of os x server.

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

If you are undecided on it, give it too me! I'll happily take it!

Give it to me, GIVE ME YOUR CHILDREN (I know it's supposed to be "sell them to me, sell me your children" but I don't feel like shelling out cash, I I can get something for free. Legaly of course. I'm not a cheapskate).

8. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have no intention of selling it. At least, I'm going to play around with it. I think it would be a good learning experience.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

My apologies for mistaking your new ownership of the goods. Congratulations! :)

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You are going to require a few directives in your httpd.conf file. One in particular is ScriptAlias, which assigns a directory to run executables from.

Here's a snippet from a stock Panther install:
    Code:
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/"

#
        # "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
        # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
        #
        <Directory "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables">
            AllowOverride None
            Options None
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
        </Directory>
    As you can see you would put your scripts in /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables. Of course, if you want them in your home directory, I would create a cgi-bin directory outside of your web root. Then copy the code above and change the Directory and ScriptAlias directives to point to that folder.

You can find all documentation online at http://httpd.apache.org

EDIT: Oh, on the ScriptAlias line, make sure you have a trailing slash after the directory (/cgi-bin/ NOT /cgi-bin).

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Will the ilife applications run on OS X Server ?