OS X vs Vista (Shakespeare style)

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 29, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

3. macrumors 68000

zephead

Well, that just goes to show you can't effectively decide an OS based on an Elizabethian duel. :p

4. macrumors 68000

I like looking at the pictures than reading what they have to say.... :D

5. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The piece could have been condensed to a paragraph and still wasted too much of my time.

6. macrumors 6502a

justflie

Wow. And not the windows wow. And I thought the British were more cultured and sophisticated than us uncouth Yanks! Lol, uncouth is a fun word to use. My mind hurts a little from reading that article (and it's not even due to the absurd yellow background!). :eek:

7. macrumors 601

DMann

Buggy Vista

Funny that Vista is compared to Tiger on such trivial levels........ Do window resize and close buttons really need to "not look identical" before hovering over them, to be effectively useful and obvious? Why would one ever want to delete files with the (accidental) push of a single delete button? Is it so terribly limiting that windows are resized on the lower right side only? How about we mention Vista's need to continually grant multiple permissions to complete a task, the staggering BLOAT of the OS, the comparatively primitive interface, and the poor use of screen real estate? It'll be more entertaining to watch C-Net compare Vista to Leopard in October.....

8. macrumors 603

mrkramer

well that was a waste of time I stopped when they claimed that Vista was faster than OS X.

9. macrumors 68000

Silencio

Oh, CNet has to always be on the lookout to find new ways to please their overloads in Redmond. This is one of their sadder attempts, for sure.

10. macrumors regular

I feel more stupid for having read that, but nowhere as near as stupid as those who wrote it.
    For Usability, they might as well have asked, "Why does Apple make things logical and efficient when there are people like us out there that are too stupid to understand it."
    It was obvious the review was going downhill when Mac OS X's positives were being considered negatives.
    That and when the reviewers were unable to realize they were comparing Macintosh computers to personal computers instead of being an actual, true, Mac OS X versus Windows Vista comparison, because last time I seen, Microsoft hasn't received any Core Duo or Core 2 Duos from Intel for personal computers that they manufacture and sell.

11. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I haven't felt this awful since the day I was subjected to the first 2 minutes of the 1996 version of Romeo + Juliet.

"But Leonardo's so hot!" my friend said repeatedly. :Urkk:

12. macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

13. Nym
    macrumors 6502a

Nym

Why oh why have I read this.......?

Predictable outcome....

He says that Vista is the "new found love", however, people are more and more seeking alternatives like Macs or Linux, interesting contradiction.

14. macrumors 6502

I totally object. Reasons:

• OS X is better, and they shouldn't have dismissed using other OS'es in Parallels as an option.
    • They should have cast the other, cuter guy as OS X, which looks better and has the better interface (no underlying message).

15. macrumors G3

bigandy

I didn't even read it.

C|net choosing Windows is a forgone conclusion.

the know nothing eejits.

16. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given Apples sales this quarter, that's what the general public think :rolleyes:.

17. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

OS X would never court such an ugly broad.

Things that Vista won:

Performance: Why is it that the only thing that can run SETI @ Home any faster than my Mac running Tiger is My Mac running a CLI linux distro? Vista is about 15-20% slower running this number crunching behemoth.

Usability: A more subjective thing has never been considered. There is only ONE feature of Windows that I could see myself liking on my Mac, and that is the ability to go to the run menu and type in the name of the Application that I want to run. And that's only because in windows I have to navigate through a nine layer deep start menu whereas in Tiger I need only to right-click the Applications forlder on my Dock.

What exactly was the final test? O yeah, there wasn't one, just some points arbitrarily thrown at Vista to give it the win while pretending to be fair about it.

Granted, it is C|Net and I don't know why I should expect more than that.

For a more objective perspective, El Reg can always be counted on for a humorous, yet accurate perspective. El Reg

18. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Might I suggest Spotlight for this. It might take a bit more keyboarding to get down to "Top Hit", but it does it.

Or, as a nifty alternative, might i suggest Quicksilver, which lets you do that to any app (or file or URL, and also has other features like iTunes controls, etc..)

19. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Makes C|Net USA look like a fine journalistic organization! :eek:

20. edi
    macrumors newbie

I also love Namely for doing this. It's free and you can download it here:

http://amarsagoo.info/namely/index.shtml

21. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be de-loverly if Leopard could make it so that Spotlight had maybe some extra hotkeys to pre-trigger it to only search for certain kinds of things... I find myself using Spotlight to open apps not too infrequently, and it works fine, but if I could use a different hotkey and only get apps, that might be nice.

22. macrumors 6502a

It should have been better

They could have written much better prose than that. It would have been easy and funny to adapt well-known Shakespearean references to this story.

I may have cut them some slack if they got the right answer in the end.

23. macrumors member

Give me a break ...

First of all, I hope CNet has better things to do than write this, but apparently not. After losing IQ points for reading it, I couldn't help but laugh at this one line.

"If this was a real sword fight and Baron Vista's sword temporarily stopped responding, it's doubtful Count OS X would stop to let him press ctrl-alt-del."

If that isn't Windows Vista to a 't' then I don't know what is.

24. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

So Microsoft's 5 years in the making Vista beats Apple's 2 year old Tiger just barely acording to c-net. Way to go M$. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors G5

nagromme

Spotlight tip:

PRess Command-Space, type part of an app name, then press Command-Return.

You'll get the Top Hit, which will be the app.