Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ringnebula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
I'm running a fresh install of 10.4.3 on a dual 800 Quicksilver. Under OS X audio CDs will not mount. Sometimes I get an error about an unreadable disk but most of the time nothing. Data CDs mount fine as do video and data DVDs. When running OS 9 all optical media is mounted fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what direction I might take to fix this? I haven't been able to find much info relevant to this via google so far.

Thanks!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have had this problem with my powerbook, i just put it down to a failing drive and i havent got around to sending it back to apple yet as i havent been near an apple store/dont have the time to be without it!

my problem was that i would put it in and it would make clicking noises and spin up and then after a while it would just spit it back out at me! thankfully it appears to have rectified itself now (well it is reading disks!)

ringnebula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Disk Utility shows a cd when I have an audio cd in the drive but will display no info about it. I haven't tried repairing perms yet as this is a fresh install.

I too figured it was a failed drive so I replaced it with a new one - same problem.

I'll try repairing the perms now and see what happens.

ringnebula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Ok, so no luck to be had with fixing permissions. There were indeed plenty to be fixed including /System/Library/Filesystems/cddafs.fs

All fixed now but still no luck mounting audio cds. iTunes does not see the cd either. I have updated to the latest iTunes, but no dice.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I find it strange that there are no messages logged about this in the system logs.....

Thanks

ringnebula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Thanks for the tip but I'm afraid there is no Info.cidb file on my machine or any .cidb file for that matter. I'm beginning to think that I just have botched install media and that I may have to find a new dvd to install from...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.