OS X won't mount audio CDs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ringnebula, May 21, 2006.

1. ringnebula macrumors newbie

I'm running a fresh install of 10.4.3 on a dual 800 Quicksilver. Under OS X audio CDs will not mount. Sometimes I get an error about an unreadable disk but most of the time nothing. Data CDs mount fine as do video and data DVDs. When running OS 9 all optical media is mounted fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what direction I might take to fix this? I haven't been able to find much info relevant to this via google so far.

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do they mount in iTunes or Disk Utility? :)

Also, dare I say it, have you repaired permissions recently?

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have had this problem with my powerbook, i just put it down to a failing drive and i havent got around to sending it back to apple yet as i havent been near an apple store/dont have the time to be without it!

my problem was that i would put it in and it would make clicking noises and spin up and then after a while it would just spit it back out at me! thankfully it appears to have rectified itself now (well it is reading disks!)

4. ringnebula thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk Utility shows a cd when I have an audio cd in the drive but will display no info about it. I haven't tried repairing perms yet as this is a fresh install.

I too figured it was a failed drive so I replaced it with a new one - same problem.

I'll try repairing the perms now and see what happens.

5. ringnebula thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so no luck to be had with fixing permissions. There were indeed plenty to be fixed including /System/Library/Filesystems/cddafs.fs

All fixed now but still no luck mounting audio cds. iTunes does not see the cd either. I have updated to the latest iTunes, but no dice.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I find it strange that there are no messages logged about this in the system logs.....

Thanks

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try dragging CD Info.cidb from your Preferences folder to the Desktop. :)

7. ringnebula thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip but I'm afraid there is no Info.cidb file on my machine or any .cidb file for that matter. I'm beginning to think that I just have botched install media and that I may have to find a new dvd to install from...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Okay, well open a new account and see if it works there, or if you have the CIDB file. :)

9. ringnebula thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with that either I'm afraid. Off to find a new DVD I go