OS X Yosemite Beta Usage Beats Mavericks' Pace by 4x as New Features and Look Draw Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced OS X Yosemite last month during its worldwide developers conference and released the first beta version of the operating system to developers at the same time. According to web analytics firm Chitika, developer interest in Yosemite is high with an early adoption rate that is significantly greater than its predecessor OS X Mavericks and still growing.
    Chitika measured Mac OS X ad impressions from users in the U.S. and Canada between June 2 and July 2, 2014. Adoption of OS X Yosemite rose quickly after release, climbing to 0.15% of total U.S. and Canadian Mac OS X Web traffic in just a few days. In comparison, OS X Mavericks last year took about 30 days to reach only 0.05% of measured web traffic.

[​IMG]
    Chitika attributes this higher adoption to curiosity about new features of OS X, especially those collaborative options that tie into iOS. Along with OS X Yosemite, Apple introduced iOS 8 with new continuity features that improve the cross-platform integration of iOS 8 with OS X Yosemite. Most notable is Handoff, which allows users to start a task on one iCloud-enabled device and easily transfer that task to another nearby device without losing changes.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Beta Usage Beats Mavericks' Pace by 4x as New Features and Look Draw Testers

2. herocero, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

macrumors regular

or maybe it has everything to do with allowing a limited public beta that increased the numbers significantly?

edit: i've been corrected and brought up to speed, thanks!

3. macrumors 603

The public beta isn't out yet.

4. macrumors 6502

Except the limited public beta isn't public yet ;)

5. macrumors 65816

Let's hope those of us with older (pre 2012) macs can take advantage of the new connectivity features. So far it looks like it is hit or miss depending on the age of the computer.

6. macrumors 6502a

iOS-only developers also have access to Yosemite Developer Previews this year. That could account for the large increase.

7. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That must mean that there are 4x as many Mac developers as last year! :p

8. AngerDanger, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

It's interesting that they're basing total beta adoption on web traffic percentages; perhaps the refinements and additions to Yosemite's Safari are conducive to more developers testing web interfaces.

Ah, fair enough. :)

9. macrumors regular

my bad! i thought it went out to the first mil after wwdc?

10. macrumors regular

Too bad none of the new features even work yet.

11. macrumors G3

NT1440

Web usage is pretty much the standard across the internet for figuring out everything from average usage time, to platform vs. platform ownership (iOS/Android/Windows).

12. macrumors 68040

chrf097

As far as I know and understand, SMS texts will DEFINITELY work since that's handled via iCloud, and Handoff will definitely NOT work since that's Bluetooth LE. As far as calls I also believe that's Bluetooth LE based.

This is exactly what I think as well.

It will be available to the first one million people who signed up after the beta goes live, presumably in late July/Early August.

13. macrumors 601

Traverse

It will grow even more once Apple finally lets public beta testers in.

Granted, I know they're waiting because many users will try the beta and think of it as a public release and complain when something goes wrong, but still.

I have a spare partition just waiting for that release email. :D

14. macrumors 68040

tigres

So Developer Preview now = Beta?

15. macrumors regular

Some features have been working for me .. Hand off, Continuity ...

16. macrumors 6502a

Col4bin

Where's my iPhone 6 leak article for today?

Why no real phone shots from the Foxcon production line as of yet? Is Tim really doubleing-down on security? I need my fix! :p

17. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I hope it comes out soon, I am excited to try it out.

18. macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

True Story! :)

19. macrumors 65816

iBlazed

Like what?

20. macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

I need a dose of iPhone 6 mock ups!

21. macrumors 6502

Certainly helps that it has one of the biggest graphical changes in years. I don't think closed betas show much correlation with what happens when it comes out either.

22. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

Curiosity

I can't imagine that curiosity is 3 times higher for this release over the last one. The last one was also a pretty big release with some good stuff in it.

I think what we are seeing is the increase in the Apple developer community. I suspect that the iOS and OS X developer community has grown significantly in the last year, far faster and larger than folks realize. The community has also gotten better funding and more focused on Apple. Perhaps last year a programming group was looking at next gen consoles just as must as they were looking at iOS. One could see that focus being diverted now. I also suspect that as Apple OS X becomes a larger percentage of the non-work PC market, development for it is getting more focus.

So it isn't that the same number of people are more curious, it is that there are more people who have a vested interest in the next OS X than there were last year.

23. macrumors 6502a

Precisely. This fully explains the difference. The stuff about curiosity and new look is just MR spouting ignorance as usual.

24. macrumors 68020

jbachandouris

If these stats are true, imagine how much usage they will show when the public beta starts this 'summer.'

25. macrumors regular

My four-year old air slowed to a snail's pace with Mountain Lion. Too scared to drop a new OS on it. Guess I'll wait until I upgrade.