OS X Yosemite Designed for Retina Screens?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 16, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Macworld's Jason Snell provides a nice hands-on writeup about Apple's new OS X Yosemite. Snell focuses on the user-experience from a long term Mac user, focusing on the visual and usability changes of Mac windows. He notes the increased use of transparency and the varying implementation of title bars in many applications:

[​IMG]

Overall, Snell feels that many of the design changes were done with Retina displays in mind:
    Apple first introduced Retina displays into the Mac line in with the Retina MacBook Pro in June, 2012. Since that time, Apple has been slow to extend Retina screens to the rest of their lineup.

The MacBook Air seems likely to be the next Mac to deliver a Retina Display. Signs point to a 12" Retina model later this year, and there has already been early evidence in Yosemite of Retina iMacs in testing.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Designed for Retina Screens?

2. macrumors 6502

Likely. Why else would they spend so much time making a detailed trashcan?

3. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Will only run on macs with a retina screen.

4. gmcalpin, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

I feel like true resolution independence — vector-based graphics, resizeable UI — has been just around the corner for so long. Can we hurry that up, please?

5. afsnyder, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

macrumors 65816

iOS 7 runs on only mostly retina too. Macs have not come far with retina just yet.

6. macrumors 6502

sualpine

BREAKING NEWS: Apple is working on its future products!!!

7. macrumors 65816

Because it's a great looking trashcan. You have no idea how long they spent crafting a trashcan.

8. macrumors regular

and am I ever glad I got one...? It was between a MBA or a rMBP and I went with Retina because I fell in love with the screen. :D Yosemite will look marvelous!

9. macrumors regular

30" retina thunderbolt display please!

10. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Not totally true. It's been designed for Retina, but you can still use it on an iPad 2 and the original iPad Mini.

11. macrumors member

False. I'm running the beta on a Mid 2010 MBP.

12. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

Might as well start now since 1080p will be a thing from the past soon

13. macrumors 6502a

No.

14. macrumors 6502a

Not sure if "joking" / trolling but OS X Yosemite has the same system requirements as OS X Mavericks, so for example late 2008 MacBook Pro will be able to run it.

15. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

Yes. Hence MacRUMORS.com

16. macrumors newbie

sorry but iPad 2/iPad mini has no retina and runs iOS 7

17. macrumors regular

Which is why it runs fine on my mid 2011 Mac Mini and 23" Acer display!

"Designed for" does not mean "exclusive to", it just means that it will look MUCH BETTER on a retina screen which to be honest I'd kind of expect...

18. macrumors member

The change from Lucida Grande to Helvetica Neue makes a huge impact, specially when surrounded <strike>with</strike> by a much more simplified interface.

Just take a look at Safari 8 and compare it to the previous iteration. It's just gorgeous and so, so simple, that it makes you wonder why wasn't this done before.

19. macrumors 6502

If Yosemite is designed for Retina screens, then why are all the icons so plain looking? Why are all the menu screens, Finder, etc so blah??

20. macrumors 6502a

I've never seen the attraction of transparency in the GUI. Just makes things harder to read. I think it's mostly a marketing gimmick.

21. macrumors member

You were expecting some explosions and flares to take advantage of the extra ppi?

22. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wait, what? Apple designed their new software to work with current hardware instead of 10 year old hardware? Shocker......

23. macrumors 6502a

This doesn't point to anything, what about the Retina MacBooks that have been out for like 100 years now

24. macrumors member

Yes, lens flares. After all, we need it to look more like JJAbram's Star Trek!

25. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yeah, it's nothing more than UI bling, and doesn't do anything beyond tossing a little style into the mix.

But I wouldn't say it makes everything unreadable. Overall, the effect is pretty subtle. While it doesn't add any functionality, it doesn't take anything away, either. It's just...UI bling.