Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Audio for Yosemite

Has anyone found a fix for the non working stock audio on a MacBook 4,1.

I've tried the Kexts for Mavericks from this Post (inside the Mac-Pro-Xserve.7z) on my MBP2,2 - and yes, Audio is now enabled in Yosemite.

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Just trying to be realistic and warn people about pending disillusion, that's all. Thankfully, I'm not the only one...

I've accepted the fact that 7-8years old Macs have reached obsolescence. Why others have refused that fact for the last couple of years and continue to do so today eludes me. One of life's little mystery I guess...

The GPUs might be "outdated" but still they would be more than capable of doing the job of just running the GUIs of the new OS X versions. And so are the other pieces of HW.

The reasons why I still insist are:

1. I learned a lot about OS X internals anyway
2. Many applications are dropping OS X Lion (and now even Mountain Lion) support. Like Xcode. Still Xcode 6.1 in my unsupported MacBook running Mavericks compiles, debugs and runs the programs just fine.

:D :D :D Yeah, you just have rewrite the graphics!

If you are referring to OpenGL support I don't think that is the issue.Here the main trouble is to have the QE/CI HW acceleration, because it screw up some graphics.

Regarding OpenGL I don't understand why OpenGL Extension Viewer runs all tests but one up to OpenGL 4.1 just fine (although very slowly for OpenGL 3.x and above). Weirdly enough it crashes with the OpenGL 2.0 test.

:D :D :D Why not IntelHD or IntelHD4000 too?

And you think I didn't try it? :p :p

I did with IntelHD. Same crap. But I followed this route only because that guy in the original post claimed that it worked, as in "it got faster". That hasn't been the case in my testing.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
we need yosemite to recognize the gmax3100 as the intel hd300 IMHO

if someone knows ow to do it I can try it :)

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Yeah - that's the problem: how to do it ....

Maybe you could try to find infos how to patch a existing 64bit Kext to run with Mavericks/Yosemite.

it's easier to patch existing kext to work with another "gpu" than patch existing gam x3100 kext to run with full graphics acceleration with mavericks/yosemite

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Not any more I'm afraid.

Do you actually know or understand what "hardware acceleration" is or consists of here?

well, we are talking to a man that only has hackintoshes, why don't you just install some linux distro if you want a unix OS instead of wasting time on making os x running on your pcs?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Not any more I'm afraid.

That's an artificial limitation. Sure Yosemite doesn't need OpenGL 4.1 to display a translucent bar when it has been displaying just fine for years now, does it?

Same with Maps. I think I have read in the first DPs of Mavericks it wasn't even using OpenGL.

Do you actually know or understand what "hardware acceleration" is or consists of here?

What I am saying is that sure the old GPUs won't ever get all functionalities, but having the HW acceleration for the OpenGL versions they support would be a step forward. I obviously don't intend to play games with it. :)

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Update from Kelian Dumarais (MLforAll):
"Also, for Mavericks and Yosemite (WS crashes) it might be the fault of the OS X kernel. But we can't replace it by any ML one. We have to edit the kernel code if the kernel really causes the crashes. Previously, I succeeded running an Mavericks INSTALLATION system with the ML kernel. I wanted to be sure it's or it's not because of the kernel. But you can't check if graphics acceleration (OpenGL) is enabled."

Oh, and OS X Yosemite Beta 6 was released for those who are not developers

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
This is driving me MAD! I modified the Sfott script to make it supporting Yosemite DP/GM. It reports no errors while running, the final build "key" seems fine, I used all boot.efi (tiamo, pike, standard) and no matter what I do at boot after it loads the kernel cahce I get the message:

root uuid device is "the UUID of the first partition on internal HDD (OS X Lion in my case)"

either that or I get a blank screen and then it loads some other random partition. I also manually added the BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist, no changes. I couldn't add the /System//Library/Kernels/kernel file because Pacifist gives me an error when extracting it. Not that I see any reason to add those 3 files, Mavericks sure doesn't care.

Did anyone have the same issue? If so How you fixed it?? And which is the correct boot.efi for a MacBook with GMA 950?

PS: If you're interested on testing the modified Sfott script (I am sure it works, but it still adds the tiamo boot.efi. I may modify it to add the pike boot.efi if that's the one needed), just ask.

-----

Now out of topic: :)

Sorry if my Mackintoshes can fully support and run OS X versions your own Mac can't! :p

Honest question: fully supported? Because I checked around and they say the most compatible laptops are the HP Probook. Still they are not perfect. I obviously wouldn't mind to get an OS X laptop with decent performances for half the price (or even less).

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I couldn't add the /System//Library/Kernels/kernel file because Pacifist gives me an error when extracting it.

The lack of the Kernel in /System/Library/Kernels/ causes the error. I've extracted the Kernel with Pacifist 3.2.14.

Every step from Post #2 is necessary to make a patched Installer for Yosemite. Yosemite ≠ Mavericks.

The Boot.efi depends on your Mac model - stock Apple for EFI64, Tiamo's for EFI32 with Mountain Lion/Mavericks and Pike's for EFI32 with Yosemite (works mostly with Mountain Lion/Mavericks too).

A new Yosemite-compatible SFOTT-version is now available from Oemden.

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
The lack of the Kernel in /System/Library/Kernels/ causes the problem. I've extracted the Kernel with Pacifist 3.2.14.

Every step from Post #2 is necessary to make a patched Installer for Yosemite. Yosemite ≠ Mavericks.

The Boot.efi depends on your Mac model - stock Apple for EFI64, Tiamo's for EFI32 with Mountain Lion/Mavericks and Pike's for EFI32 with Yosemite (works mostly with Mountain Lion/Mavericks too).

A new Yosemite-compatible SFOTT-version is available soon from Oemden (at the moment there are small issues yet with the files for the Recovery Partition).

Thank you a lot! It was the lack of the "kernel" file indeed. I had to update Pacifist first. I had the solution written in front of my nose but sometime I get so stubborn trying other routes wasting a ton of time.

Ok, I am posting from Yosemite GM! The audio with the patched HDA kext is working (in and out), the graphics is "working" (no QE/CI acceleration on GMA 950 as discussed ad nauseam). I had to set the nvram variable "kext-dev-mode=1" first, otherwise the GMA kexts didn't load. Still I am puzzled by the video memory reported by the gMA 950 (see attachment). It says "10" and not 64MB. I have the same in Mavericks and ML 64 bits. The kexts are from 10.6.2. Is there a solution for it? Because basically the GPU has no video RAM (I see it with iStat Menu and other monitor tools).

Ah, WindowServer crashed once already. I can't stand it.

Attachments

• Schermata 2014-10-14 alle 17.56.51.png
    Schermata 2014-10-14 alle 17.56.51.png
    765 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:

oemden

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
The lack of the Kernel in /System/Library/Kernels/ causes the error. I've extracted the Kernel with Pacifist 3.2.14.

A new Yosemite-compatible SFOTT-version is available soon from Oemden (at the moment there are small issues yet with the files for the Recovery Partition).

if you want to give a try here a pre-release of SFOTT for Yosemite http://oemden.com/?p=1361

Still no Recovery boot for now.

Downloading Yosemite to test it out. (only tried on developer GM - but it should be good)

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
You're basically experiencing the same as everyone else: no graphics support for that old GPU. It does not matter that the beta-10.6.2 64bit kexts are loaded, they won't work and with those kexts loaded, yes you will experience WS crashes. Nothing new here. It's been known since the beginning of the year with Mavericks.

Without the GMA950 kexts loaded, you'll get basic graphics without hardware acceleration (default resolution, lots of artefacts, etc.) but probably no Windows Server crash.

All in all, it does not make for a usable system...

Hmm.. I have been using Yosemite full time now, with all kind of applications running, and apart from some slowness and the awful lack of brightness control/sleep-wakeup I find it very usable. Funny enough even more than Mavericks. In terms of applications only Maps is stil not working. But at least it doesn't crash anymore. Going to satellite view it switches the empty light-brown background to a dark one. Wifi/Bluetooth and even iSight camera with Facetime and Messages (modifying some nvram parameters)* are working fine. Although I suspect that at least for the iSight Yosemite this time correctly falls back to the Apple SW renderer. It's fast enough, but the CPU goes at 100%.

The most annoying thing is that now that Mission Control isn't glitching anymore (well, maybe very slightly), it got.. slow.

Oh, WindowServer in Maverick is crashing quite a lot also on supported Macs. I've found a long thread in the Apple discussion forum when I was digging the subject.

*This is what I did to make Messages and FaceTime working in my MacBook in case anyone is interested:
- Open terminal
- Type/copy&paste (one line per time to allow to input the password):
sudo nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM=%61%d6%76%11%29%f2
sudo nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB=CK148614DB6F940D2

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I have been using Yosemite full time now, with all kind of applications running, and apart from some slowness and the awful lack of brightness control/sleep-wakeup I find it very usable. Funny enough even more than Mavericks.

My experiences too so far (apart from the inability to play Videos) on a MBP2,2 (late 2006, ATI X1600, EFI32) .... :)

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
* some slowness...
* awful lack of brightness control...
* awful lack of sleep-akeup...
* CPU goes at 100%...
* Mission Control lightly glitching and slow...
* Windows Server crashes...
* inability to play Videos...

It's only my personal opinion of course, but those experiences you both describe with honesty do not fall into my category or description of "very usable" systems. Sure, you can experiment with the OS a little, but it's just kind of limping on its CPU; anything that calls on GPU support falls flat.

And it'll never get better...

No my friend. Honestly at this point I don't know why you insist. Here is the list:

* awful lack of sleep-wakeup... - Check. yes, that's my major complaint
* awful lack of brightness control... - That's minor. The awfulness was mostly referred to the point above
* CPU goes at 100%... - Not at all. Only using iSight. Which I barely used in 7 years. Otherwise it sits at a very nice 4-6%. And it's just a 2.0GHz C2D.
* Mission Control lightly glitching and slow... It was quite glitching but fast in ML/Mavericks 64 bits, Slow on Yosemite with just a small rectangle appearing randomly on the upper right corner. Only hovering the pointer over it. That's the glitch.And funny again, if the apps are full screen MC is much faster. All of this breaks one theory about the unsupported kexts.
* Windows Server crashes... - It did in Mavericks in many supported Macs and it doesn't seem to do it anymore in Yosemite on mine. Just at the beginning after the installation, a couple of times.
* inability to play Videos... - I do play all videos with QuickTime (or Flash in Mavericks, which I didn't install it yet in Yosemite because I didn't have the need for it) just fine. VNC has issues. I can even QuickLook the HD videos from the Finder! I don't know where you have got this one.

On the other side Wi-Fi (with Internet Sharing) and Bluetooth are just fine. Supported out of the box. Safari does look good. The syslog is quite clean. iCloud is perfectly working. With 3GB of RAM I can run a Windows 7 virtual machine together with Safari, Terminal, Xcode, Mail, System Preferences, iBooks (for the Swift manual. That's why I am so much into Yosemite now) and Message without even hitting the Backing Store. With Lion my CPU would be frying busy swapping virtual memory in and out the HDD.

All together it is a MUCH better experience than the one I had with MLPostFactor. With all the appreciation for the guys who did the work anyway, sure. I'll give it some more time, but unlike with the previous experiences I am considering to upgrade from Lion to Yosemite for good and say farewell to that awful, memory hogging big cat.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
My experiences too so far (apart from the inability to play Videos) on a MBP2,2 (late 2006, ATI X1600, EFI32) .... :)

Oh, wait. I see now why RV-ABZ wrote the videos aren't working. Don't the videos play with the ATI X1600? With the GMA 950 they are surprisingly fine. Actually at 720p some HTML5 videos from Youtube are stuttering (heavily) in Lion. The same videos instead are playing smooth with the 64 bits kexts. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.