OS X Yosemite's 'Dark Mode' Now Available via Terminal Command

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

OS X Yosemite's dark mode, which was demoed on stage at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, has yet to make it into the beta as an available setting. It is, however, possible to get a glimpse of dark mode with a Terminal command, as discovered by iOS developer Hamza Sood.
    The command enables an early version of dark mode, which is clearly not yet complete, likely explaining why it is not yet officially available in the beta. Users should, of course, use caution when deciding whether or not to try this feature for themselves. Dark mode can be undone with a second Terminal command.

[​IMG]
    The second beta of OS X Yosemite was released to developers earlier today, bringing several new changes like the return of Photo Booth and a new look for Time Machine. The public release of the software will likely come in the fall, after several more beta iterations.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite's 'Dark Mode' Now Available via Terminal Command

2. macrumors member

This looks good enough to leave on the entire time

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Just wondering, how does this guy discover this command?

5. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Finally, professionals can call themselves 'pros' again. :p

6. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I anticipate Dark Mode vs. Light Mode to become the new Bottom Dock vs. Side Dock argument in certain circles.

7. macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

As stupid and minor as dark mode is, I'm actually pretty excited about it. I spend too many late nights alone with my computer in a dark room. (Not just masturbating.)

8. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

9. macrumors 6502a

saxon48

With side dock being, of course, superior.

:p

10. macrumors regular

perealb

11. macrumors 68020

bbfc

12. macrumors regular

Thares

I wonder what the Finder looks like while using the dark mode. Can anyone enlighten me?

13. macrumors newbie

Snow.

Hm....

Sounds really great! it would be nice if it would work properly.

14. macrumors 6502

So how can I go back in light mode? Because for me it worked only partially. Thanks.

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Light
    according to the original tweeter.

16. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

17. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I'd imagine it's placeholder was left in the plist, if so it isn't hard to figure it out from there. Even if it wasn't, there are other ways to figure out possible keys, it just requires a bit more digging.

18. macrumors member

vdgroodt

Help needed :(

mine says no such file or directory :mad:

19. macrumors regular

Ugh. Yosemite is such an eye sore. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

20. macrumors 6502a

I know, right? Can you find these terminal commands hiding the OS configuration somewhere, or do you just sit there and guess likely combinations until something happens? Or do you just have a buddy who works at Apple tip you off?

21. macrumors 604

If anyone is curious or wants to get really crazy with their system...

This doesn't make any changes, just shows everything in that pref file. I assume there's probably a way to use an editing app instead of the terminal but I haven't figured it out. There's an app called Property List Editor that edits pref files but I'm not sure how to make it open an invisible file like that.

22. altaic, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

macrumors member

It's easy. Disassemble various system executables/libraries and look for stuff that gets/sets preferences. Looking for "Appearance" is a good guess, since the APIs use that term-- preferences that are set near those API calls are likely related to the dark theme.

23. macrumors 604

It already has.

Are you running yosemite DP2?

24. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

There's a setting in there to reveal hidden files. Also, TinkerTool is a free app with a GUI that will let you edit some of the hidden preferences, including the hidden files one.

Also, there's a terminal command for opening documents in specific applications which you could use for it.

Not sure what that terminal command is.

25. Parasprite, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I remember there being a keyboard shortcut like "CMD+Shift+." or something to temporarily show hidden files when in a Open/Save file dialog, but I don't remember if they pulled the feature, I installed something to make it do that in the first place, or a combination of the two (it's been a while).

Edit: Yup that was it.