OS11. Will it be another OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by diametric, Jul 12, 2006.

1. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

We all know that the move from OS9 to OSX was fantasmical (HUGE).

Can we expect the same thing from OS11?

For example, new GUI, new apps, new architecture, etc.

.diametric

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

At the last WWDC when the Intel switch was announced, Jobs claimed that Apple plans to get about 20 years from the OS X technology. That doesn't mean that nothing will change, but it does mean they don't plan on throwing everything away and starting from scratch again any time soon.

3. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

So it won't be changing to OS11 after 10.9?

I would expect a continous and revolutionary change with Apple, new interface, moving away from Aqua, I personally love how the GUI has changed from the old XP one to the very sexy looking Vista GUI. I would expect this from Apple.

At least a major GUI upgrade.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is nothing magical about .9, they could do a 10.10 and so on if they wanted, or jump after 10.5, whatever. Major version numbers are all arbitrary marketing fluff. Notice how most new software won't even run under early OS X releases.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, it's not a decimal point, 10.10 is not 11, the point simply represents a version number.

In general terms, anything below 1.0 is considered alpha or beta or whatever - basically it means they're still testing it. When something hits version 1.0 it is considered release quality.

After that, x.1 or x.0.1 releases are minor upgrades (compared with OS9 -> OSX, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 haven't really been all that different. But they aren't decimal numbers, you could have 10.4.13, 10.5.75 etc the numbers just signify where the program is at in its development.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And you know MS stole Vista's GUI from OS X right? :rolleyes:

7. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Well Apple used for OS 1 to 9 acrhitecture for ages, yet had multiple versions numbers out of it, I wouldnt be surprised if at some point we see a OS 11, it might use the foundation of X but have some sort of completely new and revolutionary component. Personally I think apple wont do anything to extreme for a while, they dont want to risk backlash from all the fundamental changes they have been making lately.

8. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

and Apple stole the GUI from Xerox right :rolleyes:

everything is built upon the shoulders of giants, get over yourself

9. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I thought in the beginning Apple stole from Xerox...NOOOOW they didn't steal from anyone. Steve Jobs & his NeXT was like YO! & made OS X.

:confused:

10. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

who the hell cares who stole what, millions of people are enjoying os x and millions will enjoy vista and millions enjoy linux

why can't we all just leave it bloody be

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

:confused: :rolleyes:

Because it is not good to spread disinformation. Here's a good essay you may want to read: On Xerox, Apple and Progress

12. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

13. Wolf River macrumors newbie

Wolf River

Sorry, not used to that expression, does that mean you think the Vista GUI is better than OS X?

Must say I'm not looking forward to the prospect of looking at OS X for 20 years (2021 :eek: ) as nice as it is, I hope they just mean they will keep the foundations but change the GUI look (a lot) in that time :eek:

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Rocks = imitates?

:)

15. diametric thread starter macrumors regular

diametric

I mean the black and the general sleekness of it, I love OSX (how it works) but I'd love to look at something better and nicer than Aqua in the future.

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

To me Aero looks like a rip-off of Jaguar and earlier versions of OS X. Far too much unnecessary transparency. The whole thing looks cheap. In case you're wondering, I don't think OS X looked particularly good until Panther either.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

OS 11 I think will be some GUI make over. Maybe even a re-design of finder(if it does not come in 10.5) However, the core of it will not change they will stay with cocoa for awhile.

18. Cross macrumors regular

I just skinned OS X as the aqua look is nice but some change now and then is ok to lol.

And that spinning beach ball is just not me lol.

19. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

when they change, will it be OSXI or OS Eleven or OS 11?

20. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

No one knows.

Hell, could be called System 11 for all we know.

21. icetraxx macrumors newbie

Personally I think we will see minor updates (which are quite major) to MacOS X until apple makes a large interface or architectural change, whenever that might be.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I've been using Vista Beta 2 and the aero itself is good looking but the interface is still cluttered. I think the interface functionality is worse then XP :eek: . The explorer and control panel windows have buttons everywhere and everything has been moved around from XP. The network setup in Vista is terrible, I couldn't even connect to a closed network because the network setup didn't make any sense. Also everything and I mean everything in vista that you can click has a mouseover, this drives me nuts as its so distracting. I dont want everything I hover my mouse over to light up like a christmas tree! :p As thats been said I think aero is good looking despite the fact that its not antialiased like Quartz (when you switch between windows the jaggedness is terrible while Quartz on MacOS antialiases the windows). I also hate the fact that everything is just slightly slower then XP such as how long it takes to draw a window (even on a 7800GT). Overall I find Vista to be an improvement on XP but I can't help but feel that its not a huge update to the operating system. Vista still feels like XP with a skin, and updated explorer, and aero interface effects.

22. JosiahPB macrumors regular

I hope I live to Mac OS XII...and I would die a happy man.

23. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

come on guys, everyone here knows MS stole the GUI from Apple.
    Hell the practically stole the software!

I installed vista beta 2 on a junk PC of mine 1GHz 512 MB Ram ...

it was as slow as hell. and it took me hours trying to find hoe to enter the ip settings. i had my first mac for 5 min and i was already on the internet.

Vista is cluttered everything on it is os x with a winders twist!

24. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

No, Apple saw Xerox's OS in action, then went away and come up with somthing different, new ideas and stuff like drag and drop,
    Bill gates took macintosh prototypes and messed around with the code and come up with somthing based on MS DOS.

25. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

MICRO$OFT SUX0RZ!!!

C'mon man...Vista on a 1 GHz 512 MB RAM machine? XP would drag on that machine...what did you expect from Vista...?

...and its common knowledge that the original GUI was developed at XEROX...