OS9 1.25GHZ noise issue...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by russianjon, Feb 7, 2003.

1. russianjon macrumors newbie

I've just spoken to the Apple Store UK who assure me that the OS9 dual 1.25 IS a NEW model and not the old one and therefore does not have the noise issue... I'm presuming (and hoping) he knows what he is talking about..?
    However, I'm worried cos the spec reads like the old model - can anyone confirm it is the new model?

2. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Re: OS9 1.25GHZ noise issue...

He's probably just saying that to get a sale. They might have new fans though.

3. Vankarius macrumors newbie

I just called the Dutch Apple Store and they say it's to old one...
    I Also hope just like you that the Apple guy knows what he's talking about and he was constantly offering to forward me to the technical department.

Please bear in mind that the FAN NOISE wasn't the only problem on the Old G4 MDD (Mirrored drive doors) but also there was
    a ground loop hum emitted from the logic board into the audio sockets on the G4MDD causing static from those connectors.

Then (and even more important) a 33/34Hz hum on the PCI bus
    rendered those machines virtually useless for pro audio applications due to the fact that this would garble the sound recorded from converters using a PCI card(Even the High end
    Pro-Tools HD)

I don't know about you but I'm a pro audio user so I'm still very
    carefull and investigating before I buy...

4. Vankarius macrumors newbie

5. Vankarius macrumors newbie

There you have it!!

http://www.g4noise.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=153

just found this on MacFixIt.com:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated Thursday, January 30 2003 @ 07:15 AM PST

Today's Featured Article

Late-Breakers

Apple: OS 9 Booting Power Macs lack new noise reduction system

We have confirmed that Apple's Mac OS 9 booting Power Macs - which top out at 1.25 GHz and carry a $100 price premium over their OS X-only booting counterparts - lack the new thermal cooling system that provides the new, up to dual 1.42 GHz Power Mac G4s with significantly quieter operation.

Nathalie Welch, a spokesperson for Apple, told MacFixIt:

"I cannot get into all the details but the new Power Mac G4's that boot into Mac OS X have a completely new thermal design resulting in more quiet operation. The Power Mac G4 that boots into Mac OS 9 is based on product available prior to the new introductions."

The OS 9 booting models also lack FireWire 800, AirPort Extreme, and Bluetooth wireless capabilities.

Now that sucks doesn't it!!!

6. russianjon thread starter macrumors newbie

yup.. that sucks.. and the apple store assured me.. bollox! Better get my headphones out of the bottom drawer!!
    thanks for hunting that out Vank..