OS9.22 won't boot, hangs, but OSX and Classic OK

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikepctp, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mikepctp macrumors member

My topic kinda summs it up. It used to be that I could hold down my option key and boot OS9.2.2 from it's own drive (not a partition of OSX drive) and run it natively and if I restarted without the option key, OS 10.2.6 would take over.

I figured I may have a system 9 error on it's drive so I re-loaded a fresh 9.1 and disabled the 9.2.2 by hiding the system folder in the trash can and selecting the os 9 volume as the startup disk...

She hung up again and so badly that OSX would not take over when it couldn't find a system to boot from.

I have run disk doctor on the 9 drive (from 10) and all is well... hmmm... any ideas?

Now the disclaimer... no new software, no new hardware, just a failure to communicate... G3 beige DT with 448 RAM and an XLR8 533 G4 card. ATI true MAC Radeon 32.

OSX seems to run well... my issue was starting from os9.

Thanks and I shall await the suggestions of the gurus...

MP

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Usually Mac OS 9 problems like these can be solved by doing a clean install of Mac OS 9 - this is equivalent to the Archive and Install option in 10.3 (I don't know about 10.2). What this does is creates a nice, clean system folder with nothing but the standard Apple components, which has been proven to boot properly (and it should unless the drive has somehow gone bad).

3. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response.

I suspected this may be the problem (Bad system fault or corrupt or...) so I did a fresh and clean install of 9.1 and it still hung up on me.

It wasn't until I physically unhooked the drive (IDE chain) and restarted in OSX (SCSI chain), changed the startup drive in prefs to OSX volume and then re-connected the IDE chain; that it would actually start up at all. As I said before, OS9 works fine in classic mode under OSX but won't boot alone...
    HMMMM...

I have since deleted the fresh os9 install. I don't suspect the drive is the fault (hardware) because it does work in classic as well as all the applications and docs etc. I have on the same drive are fine... HMMMMM...

Any further ideas?

Thanks again...

MP