OS9 boot on new iBooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pedro Estarque, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Do you know if the new iBooks will boot on OS9?
    My FinePix S2 Shooting software doesn't run on OSX or Classic.
    I know Jobs said new macs won't boot OS9 but as it should be just an speed boost maybe thee won't be many architectural differences
    Anyone?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: OS9 boot on new iBooks

Do you need your shooting software? iPhoto launches automatically to download your photos. With iPhoto, GraphicConverter, Photoshop, or whatever, you can do whatever you want with your images. The question remains: Is this really a problem?

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: OS9 boot on new iBooks

Not entirely true is he shoots RAW format.

He'll need some sort of FUJI software (or PS plugin) to convert RAW to a tiff.

PERHAPS the Adobe RAW will work??? It's $99 bucks... but maybe your only bet. :(

4. Chimaera macrumors regular

Graphic Converter and Photoshop can both import RAW files. He only needs that and an appropriate USB or Firewire memory card reader and he's set.

My canon G2 uses a varient of the RAW format and I use Graphic Converter to convert to TIFF before working with them.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sure. But then you lose the real advantage of a raw file-- which is to be able to ADJUST things such as white balance, exposure, etc., before committing the file to jpeg or tiff.

The method you suggest converts the file to a tiff or jpeg, and then you work on them, degrading the file, and not allowing certain adjustments (WB, etc) to be made.

6. Pedro Estarque thread starter macrumors regular

You are missing one the most important point for me: visualize the image BEFORE saving it in a big monitor instead of 1 by1" lcd. and as S2 files are 32 MB in tiff I can save files directly to HD instead of memory cards (expensive and slow). Not to mention aperture, shutter speed, iso controls, histogram etc
    iPhoto is not a professional solution. I make a living out of S2 shooting software

7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

New iBooks probably will not boot OS 9 but you will have access to Classic mode. However Classic mode does limit OS's ability to control the hardware/ports though.

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Here's one alternative.... MacBibble. The new version *SHOULD* allow you to tether via firewire.

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8787

Also, if i'm correct, the iBooks still haven't been updated... and as such, should boot into OS 9. I know my friend Emily has an iBook of the current generation and it boots to OS 9.

If so, you should be able to use the Fuji software to tether.

If not, i'll sell you my dual boot titanium 667..... :)

9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

That surprises me that the iBooks won't boot into 9 since the last update on them was before the 1st of January. Also, many schools still run OS9. Just go to the Apple Store on line and check, it will tell you what they will boot into.

If you go to this link...
    http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

and scroll to the system stats, it tells you the OS9, OSX are supported operating systems, which to me means they will boot into 9. Anyone gather something different from that?

Now if you are talking about the new models that are rumored, then I have no idea, but if any of their computers will support an OS9 boot in the future for a little while I would think it would be the iBook and eMac.

10. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

EXACTLY... with the addition of the 15" tibook.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yes the nov62002 iBooks boot into os9 but it seems like hes asking about the nexxt update of them sicne everyone thinks they are coming very soon.

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The next question i'll ask is why are you shooting TIFFs?

I think if you're shooting TIFF, tethered, on a G3, you'll be disappointed with the speed.

Your RAW files should be infinitely smaller and should process through quicker-- with less loss of image quality.

(yes, TIFF will lose some quality, and many tests have shown that there's not much benefit over shooting tiff over jpeg at that point. but raw on the other hand...)

13. Pedro Estarque thread starter macrumors regular

RAW is great, but my final file must be either tiff or psd cause graphics bureaus, publicity agencies etc can't handle RAW.
    And as I don't have much processing power ( G4 800, iMac 600, iMac500 and iBook 300 ) I can't afford to waste time converting to tiff.
    I know tiff has some loss ( rarely noticeable) but JPEG is a very lossy format and in some cases ( strong degrades for ex) it can be unacceptable

14. Pedro Estarque thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I'll take a look. And was referring to the iBooks to came. I would hate to buy a machine that will be updated soon, just to have the ability to boot 9