os9 browser recommendation

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by pumanyc, Apr 4, 2005.

1. pumanyc macrumors newbie

Hi
    Are there any good browsers available for os9 (i must upgrade one of these days). I've been pretty happy with Netscape 7 (and IE5 when I have to), but since the weekend the macrumors homepage looks awful (see attached screenshots) the forum seems fine thank good.

update:
    well since posting, whatever you changed to the MR css made it display much better in Netscape so thank you. I'd still be interested to hear of a better browser though.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I have the same annoying problem with MR in IE5.1.7.

Generally, there are no "good" browsers for OS9 - because they are so old, many Java applets don't work properly.

However, Mozilla 1.3.1 seems to work pretty well - and it doesn't have those nasty scrollbars around each MR news item: http://wamcom.org/

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

iCab is a great browser... works on System 7 up to OS X.

4. mms macrumors 6502a

Actually the last Mozilla release for OS 9 was 1.2.1, not 1.3.1. I found it to be somewhat buggy when I used to use it. Really, the only usable choices IMO are Netscape, Mozilla, IE, and iCab. I used IE mostly back in the day as it was the most decent of all the choices. Somehow iCab just didn't click with me.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There is an unofficial Mozilla version that supports 8.6 and is based off of version 1.4/1.3.1. It is pretty nice but fairly slow...

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Time to upgrade to OS X?

7. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I'm using Mozilla 1.3.1 in OS9...

It isn't the official Mozilla release, it was released by WamCom (see my earlier post for a link). It is a little slow on my 350MHz G3 iMac, but it handles websites better than IE5.1.7.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

It's very strange to see those pictures because they have no font smoothing. Everything looks very computery.

9. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

thats what i say each time i am in the pc lab on campus.

anyway on subject have you tired opera on os 9?