OS9 freezes when starting Eudora

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A friend of mine still using Classic (9.2.2) got into really big problems when she installed the new version of Eudora Email, Eudora 6.1.1. Every time she starts Eudora the machine/OS9 freezes and she has to reboot the hard way...

Anobody else experienced something similar, and maybe knows about a fix? It's been years since I had a working Classic system, so I'm a bit outdated. So, if anybody do know any (quick) fixes so she doesn't have to do a clean install, she (and I) will be very happy... ;)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The first thing to check when a Classic application crashes consistently is the preferences file. Its exact location depends on how you have Mac OS X Classic settings configured - if the checkbox "Use Mac OS 9 preferences from your home" is UNCHECKED, it's in the Preferences folder inside your Mac OS 9 system folder. If that box IS checked, it is in ~/Library/Classic/Preferences where ~ is your user folder. Try removing the preference file and launching Eudora and see if it works now.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aah... I'm sorry I wasn't clear enogh. My friend doesn't use OS X, she boots in OS9/Classic. If it was an OS X problem I probably could have helped...

I don't quite see why anybody would run a Mail client in Classic Environment from OSX though... is there any circumstances where that would be necessary or helpful in any way...?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well, in that case, just look in your Mac OS 9 system folder, in the Preferences folder. In there you'll find a preferences file for Eudora. Move/Trash it, then restart Eudora and see if the problem clears up.