OS9 Install Woes...please help me - or i'll torch this darn thing !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 9600, Aug 23, 2005.

1. 9600 macrumors newbie

Right,
    I got my dirty mitts on a 9600/350 a few days ago, and want to upgrade 8.6 to 9.0 and above.

I've checked all the compat matrix, and yres, it can be done....so why, when i run the install, it says to me "This cannot be run on this machine...see documentation" every time ? i've turned extensions off, tried swapping drives...still no luck. NOT HAPPY !! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Did you make sure the firmware is up to date, in case that is needed for an OS 9 install on that box?

2) Are you using generic OS 9 install CDs or are you trying to skate by using an OS 9 installer for a not-9600 Mac?

3. 9600 thread starter macrumors newbie

lo'
    ok, no1 - not too sure where to get firmware update from ?
    no2 - yup - i am skating, as i have a good mate who lent me his OS9 CD to get me back up again.

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

The highest operating system the Power Mac 9600 can take is OS 9.1

I would suspect that your friend's OS 9 is probably 9.2.2 (the last version) and that is what is causing the troubles.

btw the 350mhz 9600 is a rather rare machine as it was discontinued shortly after being introduced.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, #1, you get from Apple's website.

And #2 is why you cannot get it installed. Get a generic OS 9 installer CD.

Good mate or no, what you're trying to do isn't legal, it's a violation of the end user license agreement if your buddy is still using OS 9.

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That doesn't matter. I don't think MacRumors wants to be knowingly associated with supporting software piracy. Whatever your feelings are about it, this is a passionate hobby/business for the people that admin this thing.

8. 9600 thread starter macrumors newbie

the cd is 9.0.2 i had os9 on there originally from a previous install, so i'm not doing anything wrong......seeing as my hdd had to be replaced due to a fatal harware failure, and i have to step up from 8.6 ( lost all my old cd's in a house move) :(

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Well then technically this shoudl work. While most OS9 discs are universal there were a few powerbook models that came with OS9 install CDs that were specific to that model of powerbook. That might be able to explain the situation.

Ideally you would use OS9 discs that came in a standalone box, rather than bundled with a computer.

I assume you are booting from the CD and choosing a clean install. Is that correct?

10. 9600 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah....holding "c" to boot, running install and getting the message above. dead wierd - and bleedin' annoying. Reckon his CD must be a powerbook one then, not a standalone one. nutz.

Really annoying, cos i use this mac for vid editing etc, and it's been great service for years now.

Plus i can't afford a replacement. :(