OS9 not dead, project copland released.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Geert, May 14, 2002.

1. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Seems that OS 9 is far from dead.
    From a recent interview with one of the engineers:
    Thursday, May 09, 2002
    Copland Goes Gold Master.

In a shocking move that has left the Mac community reeling, Apple engineers today announced that the operating system code-named "Copland" has been completed.

Long considered a dead project, its existence was discovered today when a rogue group of engineers emerged from their sequestered work area. Squinting in the bright light of day, they announced that Copland is in the Gold Master phase and claimed it will be ready to ship by month's end.

Boasting that Copland contains new user interface elements like enhanced views, a restructured System Folder and customizable “appearances”, Copland’s Chief Project Engineer, Gary Burke, heralded the beginning of a new era for the Macintosh platform.

“And the interface is just the icing on the cake,” continued Burke.

The real improvements, Burke claimed, are under the hood. Protected Memory, preemptive multitasking, a new kernel, and innovative new Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) will allow the Mac OS to run on Mac clones that use different hardware controllers.

“This is the feature that makes the new Mac OS important. Now we have a stable and native version of the Mac OS for CHrP,” or Common Hardware Reference Platform.

Apple executives were at a loss to explain how Copland development was apparently still going on while the company was forging down the path of OS X.

Senior Vice President for Software Development, Avie Tevanian, said "There was apparently a whole department working on this that we didn't realize was there when we came over from NeXT. They were down this hall I thought went to the parking garage. Turns out there are offices and even a little cafeteria down there."

Tevanian said this now explains a strange incident from two years ago when an unidentified engineer burst into a development team meeting, shouting "I got GeoPort transmitting at 256 Kbits!"

Through a series of complex accounting treatments, the department continued to be funded through a period of cost-cutting carried out by Apple in the last five years.

"I think [CFO] Fred [Anderson] has a little 'splainin' to do," Tevanian said.

Asked if he’d heard of Mac OS X, a bleary-eyed Burke merely shook his head. "Look, I've got to go get cleaned up for the release party. This has been a long time coming."

Waiting in the wings to explain things gently to Burke, Tevanian indicated Copland would not see the light of day.

"OS X is the future of this company. Mr. Burke will be, uh, rehabilitated."

posted by CARS Staff | 5/9/2002

See if I can find that link again ...

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

That is sooo strange, it would seem like an April Fool but I doubt that, probably just rack mount release presure and people mucking about.

If you find the link please post it!

Ensign

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I think the link gives it away a little!!! CRAZY

7. j763 macrumors 6502a

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

lol, that is the BEST rumors site.

one of my favorites is "Apple to discontinue PowerBooks."

9. Geert thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geert

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

ok
    Were do you get copland? :D
    aww jess its right next to my banjo da ha:D

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that had me for a second there. that was a real worry, the thought of OS 9 somehow being let out of the dungeons!

crazyapplerumors - wow, a 17 inch iBook. folds space to fit the 17" in the space of the 12.1". Apple is heaps ahead of the PCs. wait till i tell this to my PC buddies!!:D